We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Local Councils will not be required to provide allotments

Options
RAS
RAS Posts: 32,771 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
If you have an allotment or want on, you may want to comment on this Government exercise which could remove the duty of Council to provide exisitng or new allotments

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/

see also :

http://www.communities.gov.uk/localgovernment/decentralisation/tacklingburdens/reviewstatutoryduties/
The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing

Comments

• angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Disgraceful - I can't believe they are trying to squeeze this one through - so much for the BIG SOCIETY!!!!!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Been waiting for an allotment for 20 months now

Not only at allotments a good source for cheap sustainable food, but also I believe they are healthily in terms of organic fresh food and also a great way to improve your well-being. I hope councils can still provide them
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
  • yorkieorchid
    Options
    Petition signed. I agree its a disgrace.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...and the cynic in me thinks "Don'cha know? Developers HAVE to be allowed to get all available land for building on of course".....(and blow anyone who needs to save money by growing some food for themselves or the fact that Britain needs to become as self-sufficient as possible in food....:cool:).

Another effect of our overcrowding become worse all the time....
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Seems to me that if enough noise is made about it it will be come a local election issue, so they are unlikely to go if local voices make it clear it would be a vote breaker

It might also be time to consider how they are allocated as waiting lists increase :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure