We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Raised bed siting question

Options
aliasojo
aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've got metre square plastic raised beds that I'm planning on siting at the edge of the garden.

There is a strip of earth here that is maybe 40/50 cm wide and the rest is paving slabs, so the raised beds will be half on slab and half on the earth.

This strip of earth has been weeded but I'm not convinced all the roots are out (it had been left unattended for a long time and was particularly bad weed wise).

Am I better to leave the raised bed sat directly on the earth to help encourage worms etc or am I best to put down weed control fabric first and site the bed on top?

I'm concerned that weeds and slugs etc will find it too easy to invade my veg if I don't put the fabric down but might the veg be better with access to the soil?
Herman - MP for all! :)

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They will be better sitting on soil - can you not lift a few of the slabs ?
  • aliasojo
    Options
    No, slab lifting is not an option. :D

Even if I wanted to I couldn't, there's a shed on the end on one slab and something else of the edge of another so each of the beds would still only be on 3/4 earth and part slab.

So...weed control fabric or no weed control fabric? :)
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with fabric as it might stop the weeds but its also going to stop the roots of your plants going down.. the part of your raised garden over the slabs may not do very well at all for growing things... the soil will dry out really quickly and the roots won't be able to go down properly into the soil..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • aliasojo
    Options
    tanith wrote: »
    .....the part of your raised garden over the slabs may not do very well at all for growing things... the soil will dry out really quickly and the roots won't be able to go down properly into the soil..

I have mini versions of these beds already sited on slabs elsewhere and grew salad stuff last year ok. In fact nothing I grew was on soil, everything was in a pot or a bag or a bed of some sort, all on slabs.

It never occurred to me that it would be an issue. :o

People grow stuff on balconies and patios? :undecided
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    I have mini versions of these beds already sited on slabs elsewhere and grew salad stuff last year ok. In fact nothing I grew was on soil, everything was in a pot or a bag or a bed of some sort, all on slabs.

It never occurred to me that it would be an issue. :o

People grow stuff on balconies and patios? :undecided

If its only going to be small salad stuff you are growing then you'll prob be ok but tall things like tomatoes will just topple over as they have no way to anchor roots in just a few inches of compost.. in pots and bags they have the weight of the pot or bag to anchor them down.. not so in a raised bed with slabs under , if there is no alternative then I guess you have nothing to lose by giving it a try
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure