edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
17 replies 662 views
2»

Replies

• zorberzorber Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore them. You have sent the item so they should end up being happy.

If they leave neg then leave neg back
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • Contains_Mild_PerilContains_Mild_Peril Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't left feedback yet, chances are they won't neg you for fear of getting negged in return. Stories like this are why I always wait for buyers' feedback before leaving mine as a seller.
    Don't get drawn into an argument with this eejit, but they're talking codswallop about "statutory rights". In the first place, most of the regulations which business retailers have to follow don't apply to private sales. In the second place, a contract can't be formed retrospectively: you agreed to supply the described goods at the bid price (+ p&p), terms as stated in the listing and ebay policy; they agreed to pay that price. Both of you have fulfilled your part of the contract. If you later said you would dispatch on a particular date, that does not alter the original contract.
    I would try ignoring them in the hope they'll go away, and if not, politely refuse to refund.
    There is, however, the slight risk that the customer might claim not to have received the goods to obtain a refund that way.
    Forgot to ask, does Ebay have a stated postage time limit, say within 7 days of payment being received something of that nature?
    You're right, postage is normally supposed to be within a week of receiving cleared payment (which in the case of Paypal means cleared into the Paypal account, not the seller's bank account). Many sellers usually dispatch within 1-2 working days, but that's certainly not a requirement.
  • TirianTirian Forumite
    959 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, postage is normally supposed to be within a week of receiving cleared payment (which in the case of Paypal means cleared into the Paypal account, not the seller's bank account). Many sellers usually dispatch within 1-2 working days, but that's certainly not a requirement.

Pah! There's no such thing as a "cleared" Paypal payment, as I discovered to my detriment. It's not safe until it's in your bank account - and even then Paypal will threaten to send round debt collectors to take your money back if they later decide the buyer paid fraudulently.
    For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also ...
  • Sybarite wrote:
    Forgot to ask, does Ebay have a stated postage time limit, say within 7 days of payment being received something of that nature?

Yes, you're meant to despatch within 7 days of payment.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • SybariteSybarite Forumite
    401 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions and advise - think I shall see whether I have any further emails after this weekend.

Incidentally feedback is up to 90 days from the sale, is this from the ebay sale time, payment etc when do the 90 days start & when is the final posting time, just in case. Thanks
    I do hope you're telling the truth?
  • It's approximately 90 days. It can be weeks longer. (The 'leave feedback at the last second' trick never works)
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • Just to play devils advocate a bit. You say "posted within 2 days", that was your choice to insert that. You have failed to live upto the service standard you have set yourself.

If you look at it that way you might be tempted to offer a compromise on this one.

Personally I didn't like the tone of his email and would be seriously hacked off by it. You have also emailed and apologised which should have calmed the buyer down.

What postal service was advertised and which one was used? IE Did you upgrade from 2nd class to 1st class? That would have compensated foor the slight delay.

I would send him an email grovelling again and ask what you could do to make him happy, throws the ball back at him and you can judge if he is a total prat from his reply.

As it stands my suggestion would be to refund his P+P or £1 or £2 whichever is highest.

If I am late in posting I normally post for free, unless I have covered my butt in the listing. (I offer to post within 24 hours).
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides