charging for paypal

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
13 replies 501 views
elisebutt65elisebutt65 Forumite
3.9K Posts
I've been Money Tipped!
Where can I report a seller for charging extra for using Paypal - Ebay make it so hard to find anything!!!
Noli nothis permittere te terere
Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
[STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

Replies

• Listing policy breaches > circumvention of ebay fees > charges associated with (blah blah) surcharges
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • Alfie_EAlfie_E Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    You need the Contact Us - Listing Policy Breaches page. Then, select Listing policy breaches (improper keywords, outside links etc.), Circumvention of eBay fees, then finally Charges associated with offered payment methods (surcharges).
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • paypal do charge the seller 3.4% plus 20p to accept each paypal payment.

I have a standard account, so can accept money for free, but can't accept credit/debit card payments.

I think its fair to charge the buyer IF you make it clear theres an additional charge to be added at the end, and only then, if the seller doesn't make alternative payment methods available
  • sarahg1969sarahg1969 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

I think its fair to charge the buyer IF you make it clear theres an additional charge to be added at the end, and only then, if the seller doesn't make alternative payment methods available

No it's not. It's not allowed under Ebay's terms and conditions.
  • vulturavultura Forumite
    475 Posts
    paypal do charge the seller 3.4% plus 20p to accept each paypal payment.

I have a standard account, so can accept money for free, but can't accept credit/debit card payments.

If you were a shop/trader then you would be charged a % by the bank for taking credit card payments or a fixed charge for debit cards. I doubt greatly that you as a consumer would be happy to be charged extra by a store/trader for using your plastic.
  • zorberzorber Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    vultura wrote:
    If you were a shop/trader then you would be charged a % by the bank for taking credit card payments or a fixed charge for debit cards. I doubt greatly that you as a consumer would be happy to be charged extra by a store/trader for using your plastic.

Yes but dont you realise that the % the credit card charges is already included in the price of your goods!!!! Its just spilt between all goods at a rate in proportion to credit usage. As more people use credit rather than cash the more the prices will rise.!
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • zorberzorber Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    sarahg1969 wrote:
    No it's not. It's not allowed under Ebay's terms and conditions.

And who exactly are ebay to decide this ???? Dont you realise it is just a marketing exercise to get more buyers paying by paypal so they can rake in more money. Oh and yes their protection is really not worth having unless you use a credit card and can do charge backs!!

Sarahg1969 why should a seller have to fork out another 3.5% of the listing on top of the selling fee and listing fees. If you feel you want to pay by paypal and get creditcard protection should you not pay for this as it doesnt benifit the seller!!!
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • If you want to list on Ebay then you have to abide by their terms and conditions!!

When i do sell anything I just add a few extra pennies to my P&P to cover Paypal or start the listing at a slightly higher price - just like a real shop!
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• sarahg1969sarahg1969 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not saying I think their rules are fair, just that they are their rules.

Davescottesquire says, "I think it's fair to....", when that is irrelevant if it's against the rules.

If he had said, "I think it would be fair to.... if ebay allowed it", I wouldn't have disagreed with it.

I inferred that he meant it would be OK to charge for Paypal, so long as you say so, when, in fact, it's not, because by joining ebay, you agree to their terms and conditions, and it's against their rules.

I have not made any comment either way about whether or not I agree with them.
  • vulturavultura Forumite
    475 Posts
    zorber wrote:
    And who exactly are ebay to decide this ???? Dont you realise it is just a marketing exercise to get more buyers paying by paypal so they can rake in more money. Oh and yes their protection is really not worth having unless you use a credit card and can do charge backs!!

Sarahg1969 why should a seller have to fork out another 3.5% of the listing on top of the selling fee and listing fees. If you feel you want to pay by paypal and get creditcard protection should you not pay for this as it doesnt benifit the seller!!!

eBay can run the site how they see fit, if we don't like it then we have to go elsewhere to buy/sell our items. Agreed the paypal protection is not much benefit.

At end of day it is sellers choice to sell on eBay and accept paypal, they can use other payment systems and have to wait for cheques to arrive and clear, etc etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals