Help - E-Bay moral dilemma

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
22 replies 2K views
SophSoph Forumite
74 Posts
I'm not sure whether I'm on the right board, but my dilemma definately comes under the title 'is this fair?'.

Quite a few months ago my sister was shopping in Monsoon's 70% off wedding dress sale and saw a dress she liked so much, reduced from £200 down to £60, that she bought it for me (getting married soon) - as you do! Anyway, I wasn't keen on the dress and so we decided that it would be best to try and sell it on eBay so at least she didn't lose any money on it.

Anyway, the bidder who won the item bid £100 (plus £20 P&P) and then sent my sister an e-mail saying that she is an 'agent' and she had bid for the dress on behalf of a client and her client would shortly be sending my sister a cheque for the cost of the dress direct. However, this cheque would include some 'commission', and she hoped that my sister would be trustworthy enough to return this commission to her via cheque. (Also, in the meantime, this 'agent' doesn't appear to be a registered eBay user any longer!?)

Sounded a bit wierd, but my sister decided to wait and see. The cheque arrived on my sister's doormat this morning, from the bidder's 'client' for the grand sum of £900!!

It would appear from this, that this 'agent' is conning some poor person out of a huge £780 'commission' for a dress that is only worth £200 at most!!

My sister and I are at a bit of a loss as to what to do - we don't feel right about simply accepting the cheque and returning £780 back to this 'agent', but we also don't know what is legally right to do in a situation like this. I've tried looking at the eBay help pages, but can't find anything that seems to match our situation.

Help please!!

Replies

• emmaBZemmaBZ Forumite
    760 Posts
    sounds like a scam ...are you supposed to send the dress and the rest of the money back to this agent ? if so DONT DO IT !!!...usually the bank says cheque cleared....you then forward dress and £780 from you account the person takes dress and cheque ...after a few days you get letter from your bank saying THIER cheque isnt real and hasnt infact cleared ..... so you just handed over dress and £780 OF YOUR OWN MONEY TO THIS PERSON.... you loose dress and £780.... (hope this makes sense !!!)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Sounds very dodgy. Copy and post this in the ebay section on this site. They will know what to do and the correct procedures. I think itt is either a scam and the cheque wouldnt clear or it is money laundering.
    A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. --Eleanor Roosevelt
  • emmaBZ wrote:
    sounds like a scam ...are you supposed to send the dress and the rest of the money back to this agent ? if so DONT DO IT !!!...usually the bank says cheque cleared....you then forward dress and £780 from you account the person takes dress and cheque ...after a few days you get letter from your bank saying THIER cheque isnt real and hasnt infact cleared ..... so you just handed over dress and £780 OF YOUR OWN MONEY TO THIS PERSON.... you loose dress and £780.... (hope this makes sense !!!)

I tend to agree with this comment. It has been mentioned a few times ~ similar things to this where you send the cheque and then theirs never clears or is fake and then you have lost your own money and item.
    " Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start now and make a brand new ending. "
  • emmaBZemmaBZ Forumite
    760 Posts
    i would return cheque to bidder and ask them to send a postal order for the correct amount....then you will send the dress......sorry just read they are no longer registered so rip up cheque and relist dress.....
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mrs_bagginsmrs_baggins Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    yep, definate scam I think. similar thing happened when I was selling an expensive item. The person was suposed to have been a missionary and he was acting as an intermediary. Like! As the others say even thought the funds may appear in your ccount they havent actually until a few days later. You will def be out of pocket
  • morlandbanksmorlandbanks Forumite
    259 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    That's definately a scam! The bidder is relying on you to have a concience and hand over the money. Don't do it!!
    If it was a check from her client, to you, but included the commision, why wasn't the check made out to your bidder. What I mean is, I hire someone to buy me a dress. They say 'I've found one and it's £850, plus my commision of £50.' I would write THEM a cheque for £900. Not write a cheque for some unknown dress owner!
    They're counting on your discression. On the other hand, maybe they are just ripping off a client. I'd tell them to shove it either way. You'll sleep better and Karma will reward you!!
    Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Mahatma Gandhi
  • SophSoph Forumite
    74 Posts
    Thank you everyone for the very prompt & useful replies. Will let my sis know.
  • DONT DO IT IT IS EITHER THIS

A)the cheque is found out to be stolen once it clears and she loses al the money AND GARMENT
    OR

B) money laundering against the law
  • Please Please Please don't cash cheque or forward anything on, take everything to the police. I had a mate who went throuh with cashing the cheque and sending money on, police arrested and charged him.
  • yeslekyeslek Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    my mate had a similar problem a while back and after many emails she said she would accept the chq and return the rest.....the chq never arrived

which is a good thing cos she was gonna do a runner with the rest anyways :rolleyes:

report it as unpaid item to ebay, an either destroy everything or pass on all the information to the police.
    you may prevent others from being scammed in the future
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals