moral question - ebay

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
15 replies 830 views
apprentice_tycoonapprentice_tycoon Forumite
3.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
I have an auction of 2 items with 4 bidders each out bidding each other like mad things - great! the thing is I have 4 more of these items so I can go back to the 2 highest under bidders and offer a second chance purchase - also great!

I feel really bad that when they get these offers they are going to feel as if I just sat there watching them bid gloating (er, yes, maybe) and then rub salt in by effectively saying that they needn't have bid so much to get the items because there's more

Do I either contact them now and say stop bidding you nutcases, I've got more? or offer second chance and feel greedy? or not offer second chance and relist, by then they may have gone off the whole idea?

Replies

• Hiya

Hmmm - :think: you'd take the fun out of bidding for them if you contacted them now. Bidding isn't about getting an item - it's about 'winning', isn't it?

I'd let them bid. then in a week or so, I'd list the others and contact the losers to say I'd obtained some more items and had listed them. They can have the fun of bidding all over again - and if they get it cheaper than the original winner, they'll feel great :D

Blue
    Official DFW Nerd Club member 216 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :D
    Amazon Sellers' Club member 64

GM Challenge make £50 = £12
    2007 Olympic Challenge - Silver = £726.83
    2007 Olympic weight loss challenge - 25 lbs = 3 lbs
  • I have an auction of 2 items with 4 bidders each out bidding each other like mad things - great! the thing is I have 4 more of these items so I can go back to the 2 highest under bidders and offer a second chance purchase - also great!

I feel really bad that when they get these offers they are going to feel as if I just sat there watching them bid gloating (er, yes, maybe) and then rub salt in by effectively saying that they needn't have bid so much to get the items because there's more

Do I either contact them now and say stop bidding you nutcases, I've got more? or offer second chance and feel greedy? or not offer second chance and relist, by then they may have gone off the whole idea?

You could contact them and tell them to stop bidding but you'd be a chuffing idiot. Second Chance offers are a perfectly legitimate way of maximising your profit by not indicating to potential buyers the number you actually have to sell. There is no morality involved here. If the buyers want your item at a particular price then let them pay for it. That's whole point of auctions. If the concept of auctions causes you moral difficulty then decide on a price and offer the items on a Buy It Now basis, indicating the number of items you have to sell.

I hope that didn't sound too rude.
  • junojuno Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you were out and didn't check your Ebay auction, you wouldn't know about their bidding until it was too late. Then, you wouldn't feel guilty about them bidding "too much", would you?

And anyway, they're obviously happy to bid that amount. And if they take up a second chance offr, again that's their choice.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• I have an auction of 2 items with 4 bidders each out bidding each other like mad things - great! the thing is I have 4 more of these items so I can go back to the 2 highest under bidders and offer a second chance purchase - also great!

hey i know what i feel as a bidder!!!. Outbidding the other person :) so let them get on with it!. i have overbid on a fair few things but find it exciting to win lol.
    Need to get rid of my Yankee Candle Habit, Not very money saving of me :)
  • apprentice_tycoonapprentice_tycoon Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well - it's all over, I let them get on with it and sent a second chance, no reply as yet. I think that in the cold light of day they'll decide to walk away.
  • You are lucky having bidders. The 'snipe' system where no bids are entered until the very last few seconds has taken away the fun of bidding on ebay IMO.

I would have relisted them a week or so later as BlueSkyBid suggested:D
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought about waiting a week but they are items that might be needed for Christmas so I thought I'd better get on with it in case they found them somewhere else in the meantime.

If they don't take up the offer I'll put them in my ebay shop on best offer and see if they come back.
  • WeskerWesker Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the main idea of the 'second chance offer' was incase the highest bidder didnt pay up or changed their mind.
    If that was the case then you'd just be offering it to the next bidder rather than relisting it :confused:
    Surely they wouldnt know if the highest bidder paid or not unless they checked your feedback in a few days ;)
    Errrr...come back later ;)
  • bella4ukbella4uk Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would've definately offered a second chance offer, I think this is free to do so now but, correct me if I'm wrong, they used to charge a fee.
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wesker wrote:
    I thought the main idea of the 'second chance offer' was incase the highest bidder didnt pay up or changed their mind.
    If that was the case then you'd just be offering it to the next bidder rather than relisting it :confused:
    Surely they wouldnt know if the highest bidder paid or not unless they checked your feedback in a few days ;)

Well, yes and no - second chance is for if the seller has more identical items that they can offer to the underbidder(s) or if the highest bidder defaults. I put the second chance offer in for just 24 hours so I'll know where I stand tomorrow.
    The mad thing is these items had been auctioned twice over with no bids, then 2 months in my ebay shop with no takers, and then I get a bunch of bidders falling over themselves to pay me 4 times more than they'd 'failed' at before :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides