We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Leggy tomato plants

Options
can someone say why my tomatoe plants are going leggy falling over and dieing. they are in the dining room moved them out of the sun, covered them with newspaper but still they grow. don't want to put them out yet as i think its a little early. or maybe not tell me otherwise please.
The solving of a problem lies in finding the solvers.

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Leggy plants usually means not enough light.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Plants need light to grow. If they aren't getting enough light, they stretch out, trying to grow towards it.

It is too early to plant them out but it is warm enough to put them outside during the day. That way they will start to get the light they need. Bring them back in at night until it's warm enough to plant them out. This is called "hardening off".
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When did you sow them? Not January I hope

Perhaps combination of low light & too warm?

Yo can pot them on, and bury the stems up to the seed leaves, the stem will root and give additional rooting system

Worth bearing in mind when you eventually come to plant them outside as well
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • jim22
    jim22 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Options
    Even `leggy` plants are better than mine this year. I'm having a nightmare. Had to resow tigerella and moneymaker. Hope its not too late.
  • mountainviews
    mountainviews Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2011 at 3:29PM
    Options
    For the first year mine seems to be doing ok

Tomatoesingreenhouse.jpg

I started them off in February and as soon as they were big enough I buried them up to the first leaves as suggested on here, and they seem to be thriving, maybe I should not say too much:D
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started them off in February and as soon as they were big enough I buried them up to the first leaves as suggested on here, and they seem to be thriving, maybe I should not say too much:D
    How many plants have you got in each pot? I hope you can distangle the roots when it comes to planting out.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • mountainviews
    Options
    The pots in the photo have three plants in each, I know what you mean about separating them, i hope to do it next week and plant them into their own pots.
  • balloo_2
    balloo_2 Posts: 876 Forumite
    Options
    well blow me over with a feather duster. I was always under the impression that plants went leggy because they were having to much sun and going great guns towards it.

Thanks people who offered me advice. :beer:

Update!! took all my plants out the garden into the sun and a third have died. :(
    The solving of a problem lies in finding the solvers.
  • wattapain
    wattapain Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right - well tomato plants need light - they need to be kept warm.
    When they get 'leggy', they need to be potted on - to a bigger pot - and 'up to their neck', as there are lots of 'hairs' on their stems which, when in the soil/compost. form roots which make the plant much more sturdy and stable.
    Try it - trust me it works,
    BUT .. they need to be under cover until nightime temps are above 5 deg!!
    That is really important - do not put out at night until you can be sure.
    When I married 'Mr Right', nobody told me his first name was 'Always'. ::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure