Been Stung for £200 - help?!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
7 replies 807 views
foxeymoxeyfoxeymoxey Forumite
52 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Hi,

I recently sold a mobile on ebay for £205 including p&p.

I received payment via paypal on Monday, it was an unconfirmed postal address, but I know that many buyers do not have confirmed addresses. I sent the phone out by special delivery on Tuesday.

When I got home on Tuesday evening, I found an email from ebay to warn me of unauthorised activity on the ebay buyer's account.

Now Paypal has taken the initial payment back.

I have sent out the phone already, so I have found myself considerably out of pocket.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance
Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.

Replies

• It doesn't look good... but you could start by:

Requesting the contact details of the buyer, and seeing if the address matches the one you despatched to;
    Checking the RM site and getting a copy of the signature (if available)

Armed with these, you *may* have evidence to support your case that the phone went to the person who bought it.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • foxeymoxey wrote:
    Hi,

I received payment via paypal on Monday, it was an unconfirmed postal address, but I know that many buyers do not have confirmed addresses. I sent the phone out by special delivery on Tuesday.

When I got home on Tuesday evening, I found an email from ebay to warn me of unauthorised activity on the ebay buyer's account.

I have sent out the phone already, so I have found myself considerably out of pocket.

Thanks in advance

What was the postal address? Another country?

What was the buyers rating?
  • foxeymoxeyfoxeymoxey Forumite
    52 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I've just had a look through all the various emails, and looks like I've been duped by a hacker who has hijacked someone elses' ebay and paypal account.

The buyer was jerry507 - in the ebay message regarding the auction outcome, it stated his location was Lincolnshire, UK.

The delivery address was also in Lincolnshire.

The paypal notification of payment email also said that payment had been made by jerry507.

However, now that paypal have given the refund, it appears that the actual jerry507 is in fact in the USA with a feedback rating of 40+ (100% positive)

So although they have their money back, I am left rather red faced and without a valuable phone, and some @$#% is walking around in Lincolnshire with a free swanky phone!

I'm guessing that Paypal will be of no help whatsoever, do I have any chance getting the police involved, as I have the name and address of the recipient?

Will Paypal have any details such as IP address used to log into the users' ebay/paypal account and make the purchase?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just gutted that I have lost out on such a high value item. And at the worst possible time with the lead up to xmas.
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • I don't know the practical action to take... but as you have a name and address... I'd say get the police involved. Don't be fobbed off. See if you can confirm that the so-called buyer's details are 'genuine', ie. is he in the phone book, or on the electoral role at that address? (Not sure how to check this... maybe someone else can help)

It's definitely a crime, so get as much info as you can and go to the police.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • You can use https://www.b4usearch.com to search phone records and the electoral role. Enter the persons name and location in the blue box under Find people.

A web site definitely worth bookmarking
  • danio_2danio_2 Forumite
    381 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    foxeymoxey wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks in advance

did you by any chance take note of the IMEI number? If you did you can report the phone stolen to the Police, and obtain a crime reference number, then phone your mobile provider report the phone stolen and get them to block it.

*even if you didn't note the IMEI Number down your provider should have it...(from when you registered the phone)
  • ukbill69ukbill69 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drive to the place that it was delivered and beat the person up if they dont give you the phone or money back.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides