Pay it off ????

Hello,
first of all, i`m new, but what a great site.....
Anyway, we have 58K owing on a 250K house, i`ve got the cash to pay it off, should i ??:confused:

Replies

• That's the million dollar question and people will argue all day to why you should and should not pay it.

I guess it depends on if you want to carry on paying the mortgage for the remaining term and how long this is. What about working out the interest you'll pay if you stayed and vice versa if you cleared it.

What else you could do with the money to get better returns?

If it was me and you're got savings and emergency funds elsewhere I'd be getting rid, but I'm afraid it's up to you.

I can tell you that if you gave ME the money instead then my mortgage would be gone within the month.

Good luck with your decision.
    Regards,
    Dave

If only I had a pound for every time I used the thanks button :D
  • zag2mezag2me Forumite
    695 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Pay it off :) I would imagine it's one hell of a feeling!
    Save save save!!
  • nidjenidje Forumite
    119 Posts
    If it were me I'd pay it off and enjoy the feeling of being mortgage free and debt free.
    N x
  • Depends on where the cash is....

I wouldn't take it out of ISAs, as that's a valuable, indefinite tax allowance. You should be able to make more than the Mortgage interest, or as near as dammit, from a Cash ISA. Stocks & Shares ISA performance is dependant on the funds chosen, but also should be performing better than the Mortgage costs you.

Then, you should have a Regular Saver or two, for some ready cash in case of the unexpected.

After that, assuming no fees/charges for early redemption etc, I'd go for paying it, or as much as is left, off!!! You lucky people.
  • ruth39ruth39 Forumite
    19 Posts
    I would pay it off. Most of the accounts mentioned above only let you pay in small amounts of money e.g. £3,000 in a cash ISA. Getting enough interest on your savings to outperform what you will save with your mortgage - and without risking your capital, would be difficult.
  • liz.._4liz.._4 Forumite
    300 Posts
    I would pay it off, I stuck everything I have into the mortgage and can see an end to it in the near future...great feeling!
    :)
  • savedupsavedup Forumite
    49 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi

I agree with others here, provided you have no other debts, and you have some cash in savings for emergencies ( min 3-6 months income ) - then get rid of the mortgage - I did this - and have never regretted it for a second.

Good Luck.
    An economic forecaster is like a cross-eyed javelin thrower : they don't win many accuracy contests, but they certainly keep the crowd's attention !:rotfl:

Money may not buy happiness - but misery comes free with debt.:o
  • do not pay it off, Buy 58000 scratch cards
    donstermonster :D
  • ok, i am joking
    donstermonster :D
  • I am also in the position to pay in full Head-Spin.gif and was also wondering whether to or not.Dunno2.gif The reason I am here is that I thought you where clobbered by tax, or some government scam.
    Does anyone here know the cheapest way to pay off the mortgage?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals