We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Ideas needed :)

Options
mardatha
mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
Made a wee flowerbed today against the back fence and looking for ideas on what to put in it. Flowers, not veg. Cold windy position facing west. Any ideas ?

Comments

• soupdragon10
    Options
    Sedum spectablile - great for butterflies and bees and comes in a nice red as well as the usual mauve.

Hebes - make sure they are small types as they can take over a space, again a wide variety of colours

You don't give much idea of how big the space is - do you have colour preferences as I've suggested red/mauve.

Would you consider annuals? Calendula are bright and colourful and cheer up any space and are dead easy to grow.
  • Wiggly_2
    Wiggly_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on whether you want perennial plants or annual bedding plants there are quite a few that should survive even with the wind.
    Perennial plants to try are Alchemilla mollis (ladies mantle), Autumn flowering Anemones (they are tall but stand up well in a wind), Hosta (these provide lots of pretty variations in the leaves but beware of slugs!), Hellebores and some roses like 'Madame Alfred Carrière' which is white and would cheer up a relatively dark space. Vinca (Periwinkle) will creep around the base of any plants and has lovely flowers, that will survive anywhere!

If you want bedding plants Buzy Lizzies are shade, rain and wind tolerant as are polyanthus (primulas). These are cheap and cheerful if you need a quick fix.

Have fun planning!
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    West facing fences are also good for flowering shrubs/climbers such as Magnolias, Camellias, Wisteria, Honeysuckle or Clematis Montana.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • mardatha
    Options
    Thanks that's a great selection ! The bed is not big, maybe 2ft wide by 5ft long, with a fence at the back, facing west and we are on a hillside so all my garden drains freely and dries out fast. Colours I like blues and purples.
    I might go for a climber on the fence and a medium height thing in the middle, and then some nice alpines along the border. Maybe themed in purple blue and white. All I need now is the money and I can hit the garden centre :j
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Best shrubs for us here are ribes (flowering currents) which are really pretty at this time of year and smell lovely, and forsythia.
    I love peonie roses too - they don't last long here with the wind but are really impressive! Otherwise lupins - you can grow them from seed and they come back each year - even here!
  • mardatha
    Options
    I've got lupins out the front WCS, they are one of the few flowers that seem to thrive here. Got a peony roase too but yes, it tends to get ruined most years.:)
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Jerusalem artichokes. officially a veg but they have beautiful yellow flowers like sun flowers and they will grow in difficult conditions.
  • mardatha
    Options
    Will go and google, thanks !
  • brogusblue
    brogusblue Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 13 April 2011 at 10:23PM
    Options
    What about a nice clematis to go along the fence??

Aldi's have some on special offer tommorrow Thurs 14th - £5.49

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_18508.htm

They also have some patio roses - £2.99

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_18509.htm
  • mardatha
    Options
    I could do a nice climber, because the wind would blow it onto the fence instead of offit. If you follow :D I woke up at 5am with this bed and these suggestions running round my head. I seriously need to chill oot :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure