Housing Benefit and others - Disabled student

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
6 replies 716 views
TheEffectTheEffect Forumite
2.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Just realised I posted this in the wrong forum previously, I'll get a mod to delete the other thread!

I'm a full-time student at university and am registered disabled as I'm registered severely/partially sighted. I've been receiving lower rate care and mobility DLA for the last few years, but am wondering if I'm eligible for any other benefits?

Does anyone know whether I'd be eligible for anything else?

I was looking at housing benefit as it states you can apply if you're a full-time student with a disability, but not sure if this would apply as I'm in halls at the moment (will be renting a house in September).

Any advise appreciated, thanks! :p

Replies

• GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can apply for local housing allowance but your grants and loans are taken into account as income.

Technically as a disabled person you can apply for the single room rate and not the shared room rate but you'd need to actually live in self contained accommodation to get this rate of it.

Aside from that there's not much else, if you have a part time job (16 hours or more) and claim DLA you can also receive working tax credit.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

• TheEffectTheEffect Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    You can apply for local housing allowance but your grants and loans are taken into account as income.

Technically as a disabled person you can apply for the single room rate and not the shared room rate but you'd need to actually live in self contained accommodation to get this rate of it.

Aside from that there's not much else, if you have a part time job (16 hours or more) and claim DLA you can also receive working tax credit.

Thanks for the reply! So this wouldn't apply for university halls?

• GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you can as long as there is a proper tenancy in place with you and the university. Only thing is you can't claim for any money you get towards food so if you're in catered halls this would complicate things.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

• TheEffectTheEffect Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I think you can as long as there is a proper tenancy in place with you and the university. Only thing is you can't claim for any money you get towards food so if you're in catered halls this would complicate things.

I'm in halls run by Unite (not the university) and it is not catered. Only problem is electric/gas/water is all included in the price, so not sure how'd they work it out. It's a 42 week individual tenancy.

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest you go and talk to the section who deal with disabled students at your Uni, don't know what they will be called. They will know if students can claim HB while in halls of residence (I think not, but can't be sure, it's not a 'normal' tenancy), but they may also have additional funds you can apply for.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • AdalineAdaline Forumite
    269 Posts
    Hi OP, I assume that you claim the Disabled Student Allowance as well as DLA? I did when I was a student, which payed for extra equipment, help etc I needed, as well as taxi journeys.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals