manual wheelchair and commuting

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
7 replies 839 views
TheNicksterTheNickster Forumite
4.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Does anyone here commute to work daily using only public transport (ie no use of a car) and their manual wheelchair.

If so what regular difficulties do you encounter?
Do not be fooled into believing that this society cannot be made fairer because hard work isn't necessarily all it takes.
There are those on MSE DT who know the price of everything but the value of little.

Replies

• Hiya,

I don't commute using mine (not a daily user) but an issue that would really set me back if I had to is the damn bus ramps on London Buses. Lovely idea but my god that lip at the top makes it pretty much impossible for me to get on a bus without someone giving me a shove. However, that may well be something I just need more practice at (and more courage!).
    As of 30/12/10: Mortgage [STRIKE]28,000[/STRIKE] 26,000 SLoan[STRIKE] 9,000[/STRIKE] 7000, CC [STRIKE]8000[/STRIKE] 5020, car [STRIKE]21,000[/STRIKE] 16,000. Total [STRIKE]66,000[/STRIKE] 46,015.67
    :whistle:
  • GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't commute but difficulties I imagine encountering are:

*not all buses are wheelchair accessible so there's no guarantee you will be able to get on the bus
    *no guarantee that you're the only wheelchair user so you might not be able to get on the bus
    *may need assistance applying the brakes when you get on the bus
    *most buses make wheelchair users face backwards so may need help knowing which stop you're at and manoevering the wheelchair off the bus.

Are you eligable for access 2 work assistance in getting to work?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

• OP, this is your third thread on this subject - I am sensing an agenda?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • edited 1 April 2011 at 12:10AM
    TheNicksterTheNickster Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2011 at 12:10AM
    dmg24 wrote: »
    OP, this is your third thread on this subject - I am sensing an agenda?

Absolutely, I was disabled at the age of 9 months by polio. I worked full time for over a quarter of a century and know full well the frustration and anger that having to use public transport to commute to work when disabled. I am shocked that the DLA mobility component could be withdrawn from manual wheelchair users.

Luckily I am now retired but if I was still working and had to do the journey to a low paid job without being able to afford to run a car would cause me considerable additional stress.
    Do not be fooled into believing that this society cannot be made fairer because hard work isn't necessarily all it takes.
    There are those on MSE DT who know the price of everything but the value of little.
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT

• TheNicksterTheNickster Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/WorkSchemesAndProgrammes/DG_4000347[/QUOTE

That does seem usefull but how well is it financed? Does it have enough money to really help, for example, all manual wheelchair users of working age.

But isn't the real problem that an employer would rather employ an able bodied person especially when the economy is struggling as it is at the moment.
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The idea isn't to hand disabled people a job on a plate, it's to help disabled people to overcome barriers to work.

As it's funded through the jobcentre the funding is very much there for anyone who manages to get a job and happens to have a disability. For equipment the employer can be asked to contribute but it's a % based on how many employees there are so tiny companies pay less (or nothing) than huge corporations who can't withdraw a job offer on the basis of needing to pay a few hundred pounds towards hearing equipment. Transport is always funded by the claimant rather than their company except where the company require transportation between sites as part of the job.

NOT BUYING IT

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals