What funds for ISA 2011/12

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
4 replies 1.3K views
fifi35fifi35 Forumite
224 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Hello, I am curious to know what funds others are choosing for their Isa for the coming year.

I am trying to do research but there are so many funds out there.

I am heavily invested in Emerging Markets and commodities in previous years.

This is what I'm thinking about:

I have a minimum of ten years before I will need the money so am not averse to risk. Am looking for quite aggressive growth.

M&G Global Basics
First State Global Listed Infrastructure
Black Rock European Dynamic
Black Rock American Opportunities
M&G Japan sm co's

I will split the full allowance equally between each fund.

Any comments/observations?

Thanks

Fifi
Grocery Challenge 2018
Jan £170/£125, Feb £131.80/£125

Replies

• jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any core UK funds? There is risk and there is risk that is so high that it is off the scale!

If you'd invested in high risk tech funds in 2000 you would in some cases still not have made your money back so it makes sense to have a variety of holdings in different markets. Being so heavily committed to emerging markets or commodities isn't a good idea if they go out of fashion.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • fifi35fifi35 Forumite
    224 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi Jimjames

thanks for your reply.

I have Schroeder Recovery fund, standard life uk smllr co's investment trust, Cf Jm finn uk smllr co's and Marlborough special sits.

What would you class as a Uk core fund? Can you give some examples of which funds?

Thanks.

Fifi
    Grocery Challenge 2018
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fifi35 wrote: »
    Hi Jimjames

thanks for your reply.

I have Schroeder Recovery fund, standard life uk smllr co's investment trust, Cf Jm finn uk smllr co's and Marlborough special sits.

What would you class as a Uk core fund? Can you give some examples of which funds?

Thanks.

Fifi
    I would class a UK tracker or equity income fund as a core holding as they have much wider remit of the whole UK market than either recovery or smaller companies funds. UK funds would not have the currency risk that overseas funds would have and many FTSE companies have high emerging market exposure as well.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • fifi35fifi35 Forumite
    224 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks again Jimjames. Some of my emerging market investments I have held for a good few years and have done very well. However I am dangerously overweight in them.

I am thinking of selling all the ones that are up over a 100% some even 300% and taking my profits and then with the proceeds re balancing my whole portfolio. I keep hearing a gain is not a gain until its in the bank so to say.

What do you think to this? Can you see any advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

Fifi
    Grocery Challenge 2018
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals