Experian and Identity Fraud Insurance!!!

I am not impressed.......

I am trying to check my credit files at the moment and last night I registered online with Experian to get my report from them immediately. I am rather annoyed that I HAD to accept the Identity Fraud Insurance Protection as part of the terms and conditions before I was able to get my report.

I fully intend to cancel membership within 30 days but I suspect I am going to have trouble over this stupid insurance.

I resent having something like like forced upon me.

Replies

• and according to another article on this site .....

A major provider of identity theft insurance has suspended sales due to an investigation by the City watchdog.
    CPP has ceased all new sales of its ID product although it hopes to start selling a new version within six weeks (see the ID Fraud Protection guide).
    It plans to redesign the product so it no longer includes insurance.
    The group adds it may conduct a review of past sales to see if any customers are due compensation. It is believed to have 1 million UK customers.
    The Financial Services Authority (FSA) is investigating "certain issues" in relation to CPP's sale of identity theft protection, including failings during sales calls with customers.
    You're rarely liable for fraudulent transactions on a credit or debit card, providing you can prove it wasn't you, which is why ID fraud policies are often not worth it.
    Which? chief executive Peter Vicary-Smith says: "ID theft insurance is a product most people will never use yet hundreds of thousands of policies have been sold, which raises serious questions about the practices employed.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    37.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    When I need a file, I just order it online, pay my £2 and get it sent through the mail. Nothing's that urgent that I'd jump through hoops to get it immediately. Especially when I want a copy from all three CRAs.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kingstreet wrote: »
    When I need a file, I just order it online, pay my £2 and get it sent through the mail. Nothing's that urgent that I'd jump through hoops to get it immediately. Especially when I want a copy from all three CRAs.

Well, when I am on to something I like to do it right away, that is why I have a PC.

The problem I have at the moment is that so far, 2/3 of the major credit reference agencies have given me an "excellent" score (which I knew it would have to be anyway as I have no history of bad debt, no late payments etc etc etc) but for some reason, my bank has declined my mortgage request.............. two down, one to go.

As to why I need the reports "immediately" is neither here nor there - the fact is, I should not be forced to take an insurance I do not want in order to get something advertised as "free" and "immediate". :)
  • Experian_company_representativeExperian_company_representative Has MSE’s permission to post for company Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The insurance is simply one of the features of our online credit report monitoring service CreditExpert. All of the features are free during the 30-day trial and you can cancel a membership at any stage by calling 0800 561 0083 between 9am and 6pm.

If you don't want to take advantage of the free trial promotion you can simply order a one-off credit report from us for £2. There's a link to this on the Experian home page.

Incidentally, the insurance doesn't cover any money stolen from lenders in your name, the lenders cover this. What it covers is the out-of-pocket expenses you incur - such as phone calls, time off work, any legal expenses - clearing your name. We do make this very clear on the website.

James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • JenniefourJenniefour Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I cancelled with Experian yesterday before the 30 days ends - no problems at all, and received the email confirmation within minutes.
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    37.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Romero76 wrote: »
    Well, when I am on to something I like to do it right away, that is why I have a PC.

The problem I have at the moment is that so far, 2/3 of the major credit reference agencies have given me an "excellent" score (which I knew it would have to be anyway as I have no history of bad debt, no late payments etc etc etc) but for some reason, my bank has declined my mortgage request.............. two down, one to go.

As to why I need the reports "immediately" is neither here nor there - the fact is, I should not be forced to take an insurance I do not want in order to get something advertised as "free" and "immediate". :)

Point taken. I've probably got so used to doing it for clients before we even start the buying process I've got away from the urgency of a situation where someone's been unexpectedly declined.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals