Back on ESA :o(

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
5 replies 902 views
50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
10.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
I am trying to find the rules on returning to ESA(C) after 6 months of working - I understand that there is a 2 year limit rule - which allows someone (who finishes work thriugh no fault of their own) to return at the same rate as previous ?
I was given the chance of a 6 month fixed term job - which runs out in 2 weeks time - although I was unable to meet the full requirements for the job - I gave it a good go - and thought that if I came off benefits for a while - it would do me some good ...
I am aware that my GP will have to support me and that I will need to start a new ESA claim.

Replies

• not sure sorry, but hope someone can help you out.
  • MrLeeLeeMrLeeLee Forumite
    163 Posts
    I came off incapacity benefit and gave working a really hard go, but it was just impossible for me continue, they just put me back on incapacity at the same rate (even though ESA had come in then)
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how thoroughly the old ' linking rules ' are being implemented since Jan this year. Technically the transitional protection [ your new benefit would simply be linked back to the old benefit you received ] it offered is now removed which seems a stupid and self defeating idea. Taking away this key protection from disabled people who may wish to try working as an alternative to benefit, with the safety net [ linking rules ] to fall back on if employment does not work out is self deafeating all that will happen is people will not take a chance and have a go at work.

The current government has removed these provisions so technically claims for an IB made after January this year will be treated as new claims to ESA and outside the scope linking and get no transitional protection.

One additional note of concern [ medical test ] is that about 60% of those applying for the old IB under the sickness route would get it, the figure under the new ESA system is only 30%.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how thoroughly the old ' linking rules ' are being implemented since Jan this year. Technically the transitional protection [ your new benefit would simply be linked back to the old benefit you received ] it offered is now removed which seems a stupid and self defeating idea. Taking away this key protection from disabled people who may wish to try working as an alternative to benefit, with the safety net [ linking rules ] to fall back on if employment does not work out is self deafeating all that will happen is people will not take a chance and have a go at work.

The current government has removed these provisions so technically claims for an IB made after January this year will be treated as new claims to ESA and outside the scope linking and get no transitional protection.

One additional note of concern [ medical test ] is that about 60% of those applying for the old IB under the sickness route would get it, the figure under the new ESA system is only 30%.

I have been "medically retired" from my last job - since I was last on ESA - interestingly by Capita - who also run some of the ESA medicals - so I wait to see what the outcome will be......
  • snoopy89snoopy89 Forumite
    320 Posts
    this government is hammering the disabled to a point that its cutting their money shortly, trying to push them out of their homes telling them they are fit for work when most are not and the back log for won Apelles shows that and now they cut all help to get a job and the life line to fall back on the benefit you where on if you try and work, Cameron and his idiots and bankers have a lot to answer for.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals