We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Pond Help Please

Options
GonzoAston
GonzoAston Posts: 1,390 Forumite
Hi All,

Never really posted in this part before, normally just on Pets Board, so please move if not the correct place.

My pond seems to have sprung a leak somewhere. Its a lined dug out pond. Half of it is still full, so I think the leak is somewhere halfway up the side.

Is there anyway of repairing this, or is it best in the long run to empy it all out, get a new liner and start again?

This pond is the bain of my life. From leaves, frogs, my dog trying to catch the frogs, bits from trees and bits of rubbish that seem to find their way in, im always doing something to it. I do love it when its all done, and looking nice, but its such hard work. Would love to empty it and fill it in with a nice tree, but OH wont have it :mad:;)

Any ideas would be great.

Many thanks
I know my spelling is shocking :eek: It is alot better than it used to be though :rotfl:

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The water level had probably dropped, a fox had a drink and stuck its claws in. That happens to my sons every year and every year around this time he patches it.

Pond repair tape (he pays£2-3 for a meter from local garden centre) will sort it out once you've found the hole. Then top up, get green water from algae bloom then wait for it to clear:)

Take the opportunity to clear out any sludge from the bottom, and buy pond net and tent pegs (from 99p store) to pop over it around September to catch the leaves, and remove around the end of jan.
    You could keep it there all the time but leave a gap so that frogs can get in and out.

Ponds are great, every garden should have one:D
  • splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    i agree with annie123 - patch it up with tape - if you can find the hole - and net it to catch leaves and debris etc in autumn

do you keep fish in the pond?
    does it need to be kept filled to the top?

the reason i ask - is i believe (not 100%) that frogs prefer less depth in a pond (for spawning etc) so a lower level of water would probably benefit them - assuming there are no fish in there (who would want deeper water)

if the pond liner is exposed and unsightly, can you just cover it up with stones, earth or maybe trailing plants or something

i have seen old tree roots used to great effect - positioned around the edge of a pond (and they are fantastic habitat for wildlife) and would probably stop the dog from trying to catch the frogs
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If your dog is trying to catch the frogs in the pond, he's probably slitting the liner with his claws. If your OH likes the pond, but you don't, the answer is simple - put OH in charge of it, and you leave well alone. It will either be fixed, cleaned, and refilled, or left to gradually empty itself and silt up, then you can sneakily plant a tree. :)
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • GonzoAston
    GonzoAston Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :)

I caved in, and emptied the rest of it (the sludge in the bottom was a nightmare to lift out) pulled the liner out and dug a little deeper, re-lined with sand. I am now just waiting on my new pond liner to arrive, then I can get on and re-do it. The old liner was very brittle.

Filter cleaned out, everything ready to go in when I get the liner. HOw long would it take for the water to mature, before I could add plants? Havent bought any as yet anyway, was going to wait. Got the pond soil though. Would love some fish, but I know the dog would never be away from the pond if I did.
    I know my spelling is shocking :eek: It is alot better than it used to be though :rotfl:
  • splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    i hope you saved the sludge from the bottom - and either put it on the garden or in the compost heap
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i hope you saved the sludge from the bottom - and either put it on the garden or in the compost heap

That's just what I was thinking! wonderful for the plants.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Just a thought , but if you were thinking of water lilies , get the fabric bags , much easier to lift and divide plants in the future
  • ally18
    ally18 Posts: 761 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I hate and love my pond at the same time!!!

My pond is a fibre one and each year in Autumn starts to lose the water because, I assume, it has a crack in it and expands etc due to the weather? Then it gets warm and is not a problem.

Every time I buy new goldfish to put in, a heron comes and eats them!!!!!!!! What can I do to keep it away?

My ex oh decided to put it under the biggest tree you can imagine and so each year, it fills up with leaves, despite fitting a huge net over it!

But last weekend when the sun was shining, the fountain was going, the birds were singing and I sat in the sun just listening to the water, it was heaven and I loved it! :)
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Also have a fibreglass pond. Yes it does lose water, but thats a lot down to evaporation. Also there is a leak on the waterfall, but unless we have a party in the garden , , the water is diverted via a plastic tube.
    crack in it and expands etc due to the weather? Then it gets warm and is not a problem.

I think that's unlikely.
    Every time I buy new goldfish to put in, a heron comes and eats them!!!!!!!! What can I do to keep it away?

Net the pond . Another way is to stop the heron walking towards the pond. they tend to walk rather than dive!
    despite fitting a huge net over it!
    That should have stopped the Heron , holes too big allowing the leaves to get in.

Otherwise you are doing well??? How is your water ? green ?
  • ally18
    ally18 Posts: 761 Forumite
    Options
    Hi wallbash,

Thanks for your comments, I don't keep the net over it in the summer months because it's difficult to get to the fountain to clean it so I take it off then.

I don't think the loss is down to evaporation because every Autumn, around Sept/Oct I can go to the pond and find that literally half the water has disappeared over night. It must be a crack around half way down the side of the lining which opens up due to the cold and that's where the water goes but I can't find it to repair.

This weekend when I checked the water it was fantastically clear, I could see down to the bottom in some areas which is about 4ft. There is a lot of weed clinging to the sides so I tried to remove the excess of this, should you do that? Plus I've been regularly clearing the duckweed out when I see it.

I bought some little goldfish and snails on Sunday and added them, was also looking at an ugly plastic heron which I thought of getting to stick at the side of the pond. The man in the shop said it may work provided I moved it around all the time to make it look real. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure