Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hi there,
I have Trigeminal Neuralgia and it is getting worse. I was on JSA and have had to come off it because the pain is so bad, I am being reffered to a Pain Clinic and am on lots of medication.I believe I have to claim ESA, can anyone tell me what the process is and does anyone else on here have this condition.
Many thanks. xx

Comments

• make sure you go to the pain clinic as they will sort you out, offer a nerve block or similar, carbemazepine (tegretol) or gabapentin are the best drugs that work for this crippling pain, ordinary painkillers wont work as you probably know. All the best and I hope you dont have to wait too long for an appointment.
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • festival84
    festival84 Posts: 41
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks, Desperate Housewife, Do you have TN?????
  • nee24
    nee24 Posts: 39
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Make sure there is nothing wrong with your teeth. If you have pain in a tooth when you eat ice and it's on the same side as the pain, then that is the cause.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 March 2011 at 10:11AM
    nee24 wrote: »
    Make sure there is nothing wrong with your teeth. If you have pain in a tooth when you eat ice and it's on the same side as the pain, then that is the cause.

!?

Lots of different things can trigger TM. I started getting this last summer when I had meningitis, the doctors at the hospital decided it was toothache but a full combination of paracetamol, ibuprofen, tramadol and oramorph didn't work on the pain. I had to wait a week before I got out of hospital to see a dentist. When my TM is really bad like last week hot/cold drinks set it off but an X-ray has proved it isn't my teeth, it doesn't respond to 'normal' painkillers and it does respond to amytriptiline/carbamazapine.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • festival84 wrote: »
    Thanks, Desperate Housewife, Do you have TN?????

no but I have nursed lots of people with it so you have my utmost sympathy..

I agree that lots of things can trigger it off...shaving, washing your face etc so try and work out what triggers it off for you and obviously avoid it
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • festival84 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I have Trigeminal Neuralgia and it is getting worse. I was on JSA and have had to come off it because the pain is so bad, I am being reffered to a Pain Clinic and am on lots of medication.I believe I have to claim ESA, can anyone tell me what the process is and does anyone else on here have this condition.
    Many thanks. xx

Think again about nee24's advice, a dental scan can be facilitated by [ Orthodontics ] your local hospital / GP and should, even if its not the cause, be tested / eliminated.

All three [ tri ] ear / nose / throat area are serviced by the same nerve signal, it's very easy to think ear pain when it's cased by teeth and vice versa.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    festival84 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Many thanks. xx

Sorry, to actually answer your first question, you can apply for ESA by ringing 0800 055 6688. If you can't cope with doing the entire application in one go they will ring you back as many times as necessary to help you through it.

N.B. It is possible to get a paper application form so if your TM is triggered by speaking this might be easier for you.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • nee24 wrote: »

Well said. I was diagnosed at an NHS Walk In Centre with TGN after repeated episodes of severe facial pain and put on anti-convulsants, which didn't agree with me at all, but did at least stop the pain. To confirm the diagnosis I had an MRI scan, which was clear.

Anyone who I had seen about this pain had asked when I last saw a dentist and as I go every three months, it was never that long before. What I didn't know until I went for my next dental check up, was that my dozy dentist had found some decay in a wisdom tooth which he couldn't reach to fill, so he was leaving it until I complained. Because he'd never mentioned the tooth, I'd never mentioned the pain, but by that check up the tooth was almost completely rotten and very mobile, so he whipped it out and no more pain.

Mrs P P
    "Keep your dreams as clean as silver..." John Stewart (1939-2008)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure