Mortgage with partner

Good Afternoon all :-)

After recently securing a full-time permanent job (woop woop!) I am looking into getting a mortgage, not sure if it would be possible to do this with my partner. Partner is currently in receipt of DLA, and no longer works due to deterioration of his condition.
I wouldn't have a problem with taking on the mortgage on my own and just have my partner living with me, but would like to know if the banks would accept him on the mortgage?

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Do you mean having a joint mortgage with your partner but only taking your salary into account when calculating how much the mortgage company are willing to lend? Or using your partner's benefit money alongside your salary when assessing affordability?

If it's the former I wouldn't have thought the mortgage company would have problem with it. I have a joint mortgage with my husband but we asked the mortgage company to only assess affordability on my husband's salary.

If it's the later I don't know as I don't know how mortgage companies view disability benefits. You may be better asking on the Mortgage board as there are a few mortgage advisors on there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure