We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Aquaponics

Options
Micro
Micro Posts: 464 Forumite
Just seen an aquaponics set-up on ebay for sale. Looks a very interesting way of organically growing veg (and fish !) in your back garden. Has anyone any experence of aquaponics ?
I owe many thanks to free-easy-money.com !:beer:

Comments

• cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Keep it simple. As many on here surely know I rejoice at advances that have been made that feed the world, but for home gardeners, just let soil and sun do the work.
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Micro wrote: »
    Just seen an aquaponics set-up on ebay for sale. Looks a very interesting way of organically growing veg (and fish !) in your back garden. Has anyone any experence of aquaponics ?

It depends how you're using the term "organically". If you mean it as it's used to describe "organically produced food" then aquaponics are about as far from organic as it's possible to get.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yes i use aquaponics every season to grow on small plants. I have a koi pond and i made up a tray for the plants which sits above the pond. Water from the waterfall is diverted into the tray and then returns to the pond. It works very well, i feed the fish, they feed the plants.

Growth rates are quite staggering at times as the roots are constantly being oxygenated. Keep in mind that unless the set up is inside you can only use it in summer unless its heated and that would cost a fortune.

I also occasionally run a hydroponic system but found aquaponics to be easier and far less costly.
  • Micro
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    It depends how you're using the term "organically". If you mean it as it's used to describe "organically produced food" then aquaponics are about as far from organic as it's possible to get.

Your joking aren't you ? All that's added is organic fish food
  • Mojisola
    Options
    Micro wrote: »
    Your joking aren't you ? All that's added is organic fish food

No, because "organic" growing is a soil-based, sustainable method of production.

There's no doubt that you can grow plants like this but it doesn't comply with the definition of organic growing.
  • matt987106
    matt987106 Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    a ride in epcot allways gets me interested in it

Living with the land its called, the end bit is about aquaponics and how NASA want to use it

i allways look at it and think " one day "
  • matt987106
    matt987106 Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    600px-Living_with_the_land_greenhouse.jpg
  • Micro
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    No, because "organic" growing is a soil-based, sustainable method of production.

There's no doubt that you can grow plants like this but it doesn't comply with the definition of organic growing.

Organic growth does not have to use soil - simply that no synthetic additions are made in order to grow or maintain the crop or animal. By using an organic fish food (worms to take the ultimate example) you are only making one addition. Aquaponics is the ultimate of organic production not the opposite !
  • Mojisola
    Options
    "Organic growth" as used in chemistry terms does not need soil.

There's no reason not to use the system if you like it and it fits in with your garden but it is not the same as "Organic production" as legally defined.
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Interestingly, most weed (marijhuna) that is grown in the uk uses hydroponics, yet some users prefer it to other drugs on the basis that it is `natural`.
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport