We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Bright Lights

Options
Hi all I have just bought some of these seeds as they look so pretty and whats better is you can eat them :D:D
Has anyone else tried growing these and if so how did you find them please :):):)

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You'll have no trouble growing them. I still have some from last summer only now my daffs have come up among them. Very pretty fits into all sorts of odd gaps and doesn't mind my clay soil.
    Grow in sun or shade and very tasty too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is a very nice chard. I have grown seeds from the same packet for 3 years running
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They're one of the easiest plants to grow, the only thing you have to watch out for is slugs when they are small, they love them.
    Not the tastiest things to eat, no doubt about it, but the stems look colourful on the plate :)
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • budgetboo
    budgetboo Posts: 198 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Nicest when the leaves are not huge, but are fine boiled down and added to stuff like bubble'n squeak when mature. Much more slug resistant than say, cabbage, but worth protectng when very tiny. (I've given up on Savoy cos of slug damage every time I try!)

Good for interplanting as they look nice in borders (so perhaps a nice choice for the front garden in amongst some flowers?).

Good winter veg if you start them off in late summer, our last sewing was September to get them off to a good start before the days lengthened.

Very easy to grow so great for beginners and children. (this crop "belonged" to my then 5 year old as it's good for kids to eat their greens ;)). As they are so easy to germinate and grow they are on my lst of economical seeds.

I'm not growing this spring as I found beetroot leaves did the same job on our plates, but beetroot does "double duty" as our plot is tiny and we can eat the roots too. They will be planted again early September time though when space allows.
  • janibrown
    janibrown Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your replies:) When is best to start the off ? I Am in North West near Manchester do I start off inside now and then transplant outdoors ?
    Many Thanks Again x x x
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    According to my home written diary, re when to sow, you should be starting them off now, but I haven't sowed mine yet, so no rush, any time now to 3 weeks time should be fine.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure