We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

A Question About First Early Potatoes: Sharpes Express, Home Guard

Options
kah22
kah22 Posts: 1,831 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
This year I'm growing two varieties of new potatoes: Home Guard and Sharpes Express.

In my part of the country (Northern Ireland) planting generally takes place around St. Patrick's Day, 17 March), my intention would be to plant them about two to three weeks apart, say one just before St. Patrick's Day and the other one at the end of March or the beginning of April. The question is which should I plant first and where?

I'm using two different sites. Condition wise one is positioned between a hedge and a large stone building, closed in, and should be protected from frost so I guess that is where the first crop should go, but which one?

The second site is pretty open and receives the sun early in the morning, the soil in this area is much better than the first site.

So any ideas on which potato should go where and when, or does it really make a difference.

Kevin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport