Car Insurance - Can you change insurers half way through?

My renewal is due this March.

The additional driver on my insurance has convictions until October 2011 then they will come off the licence.

Can I look at changing insurance in October and getting a refund on the one I take up in March?

I know this will make a huge difference to the cost once these convictions have been removed.

I'd be overpaying for 4 months (Nov 2011 - Feb 2012), by approx £200 if I can't change.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Yes you can.

Bear in mind the cancellation costs plus you won't get a full pro rata refund (and you won't get any NCD for the part year). Check whether this is cost effective before setting this in motion.
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Sav wrote: »
    The additional driver on my insurance has convictions until October 2011 then they will come off the licence.
    Also bear in mind that the fact they come off the licence may not mean that they don't need to be declared for insurance purposes. Without going into all the details normal fines and points offences aren't "spent" for 5yrs from conviction and insurers usually ask for details. More serious offences and disqualifications need to be declared for longer.
  • Sav
    Sav Posts: 18 Forumite
    Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills