We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The Best Lettuce

Options
After a few years of experimentation with a variety of Lettuce grown in my case on a south facing Pennine hillside, the following three are in my view the absolute best for ease of growing, taste, size, health and slow running to seed.

Lobjoits

Dazzle

Claremont

Dazzle in particular produces an incredible coloured head with an almost creamy taste.

If you grow nothing else put these in and start calculating how much money you've just saved over supermarket prices.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,342 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A second for Lobjoits, an old but trusted variety

Not tried the other two
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,215 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll bear those in mind, particularly if slow to bolt. I like growing 'Yugoslavian Red' and 'Freckles'. I've found that with the 'Yugoslavian Red', which are green with a red tinge, the colour varies depending on how cold it is. Greenhouse grown ones are the greenest and ones planted outside where it isn't very sheltered seem to be the reddest.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure