Ebay / Paypal Billing Agreement - Warning

This is a warning - not sure if anything can be done about it.

As a seller on ebay you have to provide a method for ebay to automatically take your ebay fees. I generally don't like people having direct access to my money, and decided in this case to fund the fees through Paypal, which means you establish a Billing Agreement.

The billing agreement limits the amount that can be charged per month - that's good

The limit is preset at £165,000 and cannot be changed - that's very very bad.

I suggest that if you want to retain control over your money you log into your profile on Paypal and cancel the authority (profile/my pre-approved payments) as soon as your auctions are listed.

Of course if you think ebay or paypal would never make a mistake you'll be relaxed about this and cancelling the billing authority will not be possible if you are a regular seller

After a bit of a scare on my partners account a few weeks ago we reviewed and cancelled all billing agreements.

Be Careful !

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,978
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Personally don't mind automatic billing by paypal, it saves me having to diary a reminder to pay.
    EDIT: Also if you don't have automatic billing you get low listing limits and get shut out after running up a certain level of fees and I couldn't run a business like that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • alfiesmum
    alfiesmum Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    My private account isn't set up for automatic billing and when the amount owed reaches around £15, I'm not allowed to list any further. A quick one off payment to paypal sets things going again though.

On my business account, I pay what ever fees are owing before each withdrawal I make from Paypal to my bank account (that way I know it's all mine, and I don't owe it back to eBay!)
  • What I normally do is twice a week pay 50% of my ebay fees as a one off payment, This way you are on top of it.
    Lifes a !!!!! and then you marry one:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport