We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Wild flower meadow mixes...warning!

Options
For the lucky people who have the opportunity to spw wild flowers on or NEAR land that might be grazed I'd like to extend a little warning.

I've been looking for a wildflower mix for a track and noticed most of them have wildflowers that are undeniable pretty and native but also have the potential to cause problems. e.g.buttercup occurs in most of them. (butter cup can reduce fertility of the ''grazing animals'' and can be very wearing on their livers too.). I made a list of th things I was concerned about in the mixes and asked the sellers and they said they had no knowledge of what is toxic/not preferable or not...this was being sold as a meadow mix (some are sold as wild pasture, wild cornfield or wild hayfield mixes....the hay is a particular issue as some ''toxic'' plants lose flavour an animals will eat them dried when they won't so readily eat them fresh) and could very conceivably end up in land to be grazed.

If your garden might be used by grazing animals, and not all of us have sheep, horses and cows, but many have rabbits and chickens, its worth doing a double check of what you plant and being sure you remember ''wild'' and ''native'' doesn't mean safe! Some things toxic in most places is fine when contained to a suitable area.....e.g. Ragwort is a noxious thing and there are campaigns to pull it every year ...but its also the main fodder of some native butterflies, so ungrazed land and controlled before it seeds there is a strong argument for it not being eliminated as many wish for!

I hope this helps someone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport