We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Grow your own Christmas Tree?

Options
Does anyone know anything about growing a conifer from collected seed? Our Korean Fir gave mature cones for the first time last year so I collected the seeds, 'stratified' them in the fridge for a couple of months then put them in a heated prop' for two months more but nothing.

I have read that there are male cones as well as the females we recognise. Do growers sell all-female hybrid trees...does the male have to be from a separate tree...or am I just a lousy gardener?

Comments

• emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I would suggest that the seeds didn't like the heated propagator, as the tree is a mountain species - cold, dryish winters, cool summers. Try putting them outside in a sheltered spot where they won't get too much rain.
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    I grew some a few years ago using internet swapped seeds. I simply put the seed into pots and left them out in the garden next to the coldframe over winter and forgot about them. Then I stumbled on them about three months later and they were 3 inch high mini Christmas trees! I ended up giving them away to friends who had children.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • GonzoAston
    GonzoAston Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Ive just received 20 free seeds of Nordman Fir. The instructions say to put them in the fridge for 2 months, or just plant out and let nature take its course.

Ive been looking online at the best time to plant them, but sooo many different things mentioned, I really dont know.

So, just wondering if its best/easier just to pot them up and hope for the best, or stratify them, do it now, or do it later in the year.

Im one confused person at the moment with these seeds :(
    I know my spelling is shocking :eek: It is alot better than it used to be though :rotfl:
  • Chris_Church
    Chris_Church Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Probably not much help, Gonzo,

I try to avoid knowledge-based gardening in case it detracts from the fun but I think stratifying is quite important because some plants have a built-in defence against sprouting too early in a false spring. Two months in the fridge assures them winter's over and spring is really here.

I had some stratified seeds left so in just put them in a bit of muck in the greenhouse. Nothing doing yet but it was only a couple of weeks ago.

Nice name, by the way; I presume you're related to Pancho Villa.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure