We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Spider Plants

Options
Kevie192
Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
Hi all,

I've recently bought some spider plant 'babies' online and they arrived today. I quickly potted them up but then I realised I actually know nothing about houseplants...

So, I wondered if anyone can give me any tips? Sounds really silly as I'm sure it's simple but I wouldn't want to kill them! I've put them in a light place but not in direct sunlight. How often should I water them? I got some baby bio for them too so should I use that every day like the bottle suggests or use less often?

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are almost impossible to kill. You could quite happily not bother to water them for a good long time or leave them somewhere cold and they'll probably come back.

In fact, they also produce baby plants at such a rate I'm surprised they don't cover the planet.
  • cjb02
    cjb02 Posts: 608 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest, pot them in compost and direct sun light or not it will not bother them, keep the compost moist specifically whilst they are young and still getting their roots established and they should be fine. I agree with previous poster, once established. bomb proof plants. I have had 4 plants in a pot outside for 3years until last winter when the severe and prolonged frosts finished it off. That looked awesome in the a large pot in summer with lots of baby plants coming off it. Over winter it got cut back and put in an unheated greenhouse but last year was to much.

CJB
  • Mrs_Veg_Plot
    Options
    I only ever fed mine once or twice in the summer. Virtually indestructable plant. Oftengave the baby plants away to friends and family
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're supposed to feed spider plants? :rotfl:
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure