We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Patio Plants

Options
colli
colli Posts: 669 Forumite
hello there, verrrry new at this gardening lark. I've got a smallish back (south-ish facing) garden that is roughly half patio/half lawn. Just for starters whilst I get to grips with things I'd like to add a few nice potted plants to the patio. I was thinking small trees rather than pots filled with small flowers if you know what I mean! Maybe something like a Japanese maple (my grandad had one I loved) and a few others of varying heights to add a bit of interest to what is otherwise a boring space.

Any recommendations for plants or general tips?

Comments

• westiea
    westiea Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

well Japanese maples tend to prefer partial shade (think dappled woodland), however the priority is shelter from winds - especially for the dissected (cut) leaf varieties. If you want a Japanese Acer then go with a non disected variety but in partial shade if you have it.

I am presuming by trees you mean shrubs? If so then look at the Crocus website '' Right Plant Right Place' and it will give you ideas on suitable plants - the choice is huge - for your garden situation!

Don't forget that any plant in a pot is totally reliant on you for water and food and all in the right amounts - some people assume that they are lower maintenance - wrongly in my opinion!
    Greyer by the minute - Older by the hour - Wiser by the day
  • kim107
    kim107 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Hi agree with previous post. I don't trust myself to look after things in pots so try to plant most things in the ground or else make sure that the plants are in a position where they will be in the shade all day. If you can find such a spot in your garden then a camelia is a fantastic plant for its large flowers in spring but will need a fairly large pot and make sure you buy ericaceous compost otherwise it will die very quickly. You will also need to give it ericaceous plant food after the first year.

Two ideas for plants that are a bit tougher are bamboo and bay trees. These can survive some drying out and being in a sunny spot.
    Best of luck with your new garden!
  • colli
    colli Posts: 669 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much for the advice!
  • Emielou
    Options
    Rosemary's lovely too and has proved forgiving of many a holiday!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure