What's best way to recycle/dispose of aerosol can?

OK, I know these are not the most environmentally things to use anyway, but I do have a couple of empty cans to dispose of. Can they be recycled? Our local recycling collection does not include metal, so should they go in the metal recycling thing at the tip (probably not as it crushes) -or in the household waste?

Replies

• Mrs_ArcanumMrs_Arcanum Forumite
    24K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ours recycle aerosols in the usual boxes but some don't. Check your local council web pages to be sure.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • jap200jap200 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, but our concil doesn't collect metal of any kind in the blue box (they came bottom of all local councils on recycling recently), which is why I would have to take it to the tip (to recycle) or put in household waste.
  • Ben84Ben84 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are recyclable, but local recycling facilities vary. Best place I've found to answer a question like this is http://www.recyclenow.com where you can find a list of everything collected in your home recycle bins, and also search for the closest collection point for everything else.

I've had no issues with accuracy of the provided information on here, but I have found a few recycling facilities nearby which aren't yet listed, so you may still have to look around and see what's available. It's a good starting point though and usually turns up something useful.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you save them until November 5th and put them on the bonfire they make a loud bang!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide