Disabled Facilities Grants


I have been helping friends to apply for a disabled facilities grant.(new ground floor toilet and bedroom also electrical works ie moveing sockets and light switches throughout all the ground floor rooms)
The grant is almost finalized and will cover the cost of the works.
They own their own property outright and are recieving pension credit.
They will have to move out of their property while some of the works are taking place.
The local council have told them that they will not recieve any help with the cost of temporary accommodation.
I thing this is unfair because if their home was council owned the council would cover the cost.

What should they do?


  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Forumite Posts: 36,755
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you own your own home you are expected to pay for it....

    ....having said that, the Council gave us temporary accomodation when we had a Home Improvement Grant in the early 1980s. (although we had to pay a percentage of the cost of the grant).

    I don't suppose that the Councils have so much money now. Also, your friends are getting the work free.

    AFAIK, not a lot they can do.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards