Family holiday in Austria this summer

Thinking of a family holiday in Austria this year. Any experiences or advice greatly appreciated. Two adults and two children.No one over sporty!

Comments

• Don't know how old your kids are but we get the Kinder hotels brochure each year and the hotels look fantastic.

Had some nice summer holidays in the Tyrol when I was a kid - must try it with ours at some point
  • dodo69
    dodo69 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well the 'children' are 11 and 13 so I should have stated that!
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    St Gilgen is a great place to stay, on the edge of the Wolfgangsee with a ferry across to the town of St Wolfgang. You can hire bikes a few miles up the road and there are cycle paths around the lake. A visit to Bad Ischgl where there is the summer palace of Franz Josef is well worth a trip. St Gilgen is about 50 minutes from Salzburg which is very pretty, has a castle and river with boat trips... It's a great area.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Some friends of ours with similar age kids stayed at this place last summer near Zell am See and highly recommended it. We're thinking about it ourselves
    http://www.sportcamp.at/hotel/sport_recreation/en/
    Lots to do on site and lots to see and do in the area -bike rides, boating, cable cars, caves, castles, train to Salzburg etc. Only downside I think is that the weather has been a bit hit and miss the last couple of years

I think it has a camp site attached which the likes of Keycamp use so you'll probably get a few Brits but it was apparently much cheaper to book direct with the hotel which has its own self catering apartments.
  • totallybored
    totallybored Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have no idea if it is still there or what it is called but I went on a school trip to Austria when I was about 13 and we went to a salt mine which was great fun. Everyone wore white suit things and there was an underground lake that we got small boats through. I think it was close to a pretty touristy lake, again no idea of the name. We did stay close to Salzburg though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure