How many bank accounts is too many?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
8 replies 1.9K views
tbournertbourner Forumite
1.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
We currently have a platinum Lloyds single account, a Natwest single account, a Barclays joint account, a Natwest joint account and an ING savings account.

We were thinking about opening another account somewhere, but does it badly affect credit if you keep having different accounts? Would we even get another account?

If the answers to the above are favourable; what's a good basic account with no overdraft but with a debit card? Or do all debit card accounts require a minimum throughput or something? We'd only be putting in around £150 a month.
Trev. Having an out-of-money experience!
C'MON! Let's get this debt sorted!!

Replies

• mayling03mayling03 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I think you can divide your accounts up in the following CURRENT, SAVINGS, CREDIT CARDS. I think savings don't matter as people are spreading their money about but the current accounts I would say need to be used regularly othewise no point of having them open. Your situation seems fair to me and you would be fine with another account. You can go for Cooperative's CASHMINDER, this is a basic account with debit card, no overdraft facilities, and no minimum deposit. Beware you CAN go over so be careful. Just because account does not have an overdraft doesn't mean you cannot go overdrawn.
  • tbournertbourner Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    mayling03 wrote: »
    I think you can divide your accounts up in the following CURRENT, SAVINGS, CREDIT CARDS. I think savings don't matter as people are spreading their money about but the current accounts I would say need to be used regularly othewise no point of having them open. Your situation seems fair to me and you would be fine with another account. You can go for Cooperative's CASHMINDER, this is a basic account with debit card, no overdraft facilities, and no minimum deposit. Beware you CAN go over so be careful. Just because account does not have an overdraft doesn't mean you cannot go overdrawn.

We don't have savings, we use the savings account for presents throughout the year, save £30 a month to cover all birthdays and Christmas. :D
    The lack of overdraft is so I'm not tempted to borrow from the account, we'll set up SOs into the account for car repairs and tax and the like, rather than not really knowing how much I can spend on the MOT for example.
  • book12book12 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Barclays basic bank account is good. Better than the Co-op one.
  • mayling03mayling03 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    book12 wrote: »

Can you explain why Barclays is better?
    1.4K Posts
    We've been really disappointed with Barclays since we had the joint account with them, won't be using them for another account.
  • izoolsizools Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    book12 wrote: »

I beg to differ.

Having held both accounts I would consider returning to Co-Op.

It will be a cold day in hell before I even think about walking back into a branch of Barclays for any reason other than to wreck up the place Nixon style.

Co-Op have a British call centre, very helpful, knowledgeable, correct, and friendly.

Barclays have rude, inconsiderate, incorrect, and incompetent offshore call centres and their branch staff are equally inefficacious.

Steer well clear of Barclays. Unless you're with Santander, then they're marginally better :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • Mrs_RyanMrs_Ryan Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive just switched from Santander to Barclays and in all fairness, Barclays have been brilliant. Never had cause to phone the call centre but the staff I've spoken to have all been polite, pleasant and couldnt do enough to help.

However theres time, Im sure... :D
    * Proud to be Cousin Ro’s Fan Club*
    Dad- 20.02.2020. I used to be his Angel, now he is mine.
    1.4K Posts
    When we moved I wrote to Barclays to change address (cos they're only open when I'm at work), they said they couldn't match my signature! I had to take a half day to go in there - bint who did it had caps lock on so now our chequebooks say "mR t bOURNER" on them - haven't been bothered to get it changed. Idiots.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals