We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Broad beans-when to plant out?

Options
i probably did this a bit early but i planted some broad beans (and tomatoes) inside in a propagator 2 weeks ago. The tomatoes went leggy but i have replanted them deeper so not too worried about them at the moment. the broad beans however have gone really tall and i'm not sure what to do with them now! I dont have a greenhouse just a 'blowaway' should I replant them into bigger pots and keep them inside for now? When will they be able to be planted outside or put outside into a blowaway?
Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Like the term "blowaway", although I hope it dosn't :eek: bricks and a growbag in the bottom seems to help. ;)

With regard to your question, I'm in the Midlands and I've found broad beans to be pretty hardy. I sowed some directly in the ground under fleece during November. Since then they have had frost and snow etc. They have leaves above the soil and whilst maybe one leaf per plant is blackened, most of them are still okay. :T I will sow some more for insurance, and then no doubt be over run with the things. :eek: :D

In your case, I would start to harden them off, put them outside during the day from a couple of weeks. Rig something up so that they can't blow away. You'll need to space them apart as well, as they will tangle around each other :rotfl:

After this I would plant them outside in the ground rather than a pot. Some fleece won't hurt either. :)

Don't worry to much about them growing tall, as you will wind them around supports anyway. :)

Your Toms are another matter, they don't like frost at all, :eek: please don't even think about putting them in your placcy greenhouse until your free from the threat of frosts.

HTH its exciting times isn't it, I never get fed up with watching things grow. :T
  • moneymabel
    moneymabel Posts: 7,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks linda it is really exciting!! I will put the beans outside during the day soon :-) thanks very much for your help! x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure