Mortgage release fee - can i claim this back

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
5 replies 1.1K views
emmawildingemmawilding Forumite
36 Posts
hi, i closed my account with the bank of ireland last year, i just phoned them about my mortgage exit fee and was told i didn't pay one, but i did pay a mortgage release fee - which was non punitve. Is this still the same and do i still have grounds to try and reclaim it back. I also incureed a number of late payment charges due to the day the direct debit came out - being at the end of the month, and getting paid at the beginning, this beig £35 per time, must calculate upto about £250, can i claim these back?

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If the fee was in place when you bought the mortgage or the last deal with them (whichever later) then you have no grounds for refund. If it was not in place or increased then you have grounds to ask for a refund of the difference.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ok i will look into if it was in place to begin with, how about the charges where do i stand on them?
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The charge is valid and acceptable. The FSA only gave a ruling on increases.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • surely if they ruled that a £35 charge against a credit card is not acceptable the same principle can be applied here
  • surely if they ruled that a £35 charge against a credit card is not acceptable the same principle can be applied here

No, it cant.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals