Is This An Efficent Use Of Oil

kah22kah22 Forumite
1.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following.

Recently I removed my old oil fired central heating boiler, installed one of the new generation condenser boilers and upgraded a number of my radiators adding individual thermostats to them. Also upgraded my system so that the heating works out of its own small tank in the loft. Hot water and heat are now separate where they weren't before. We don't have gas in our area.

Probably because of where it is situated one of the radiators never really worked and even with the new improved boiler still it remained sluggish. My own belief is that a pipe running under a floor was not installed properly, but that's for another day. We're talking about a heating system put in in the late sixties, early seventies.

Anyway a friend suggested that I try the following: increase my normal setting from 20 Celsius to 26/27 Celsius and let it sit there for about 45 minutes then turn it way, way down to about 15 Celsius. I've tried this approach during from the Christmas cold snap, and yes it does seem to work! The sluggish radiator throws out reasonable heat and when I eventually turn the controls down to 15 Celsius it remains warm as of course do all the other radiators I have on. I'm inclined to turn the heat on and off manually although I've read that it may be more cost effective to let it run at a lower temperature all the time - or at least during the day. I'm retired and am at home most of the time.

Now I'm wondering what is going on here. Is it just that I'm really heating up the water and it is pushing it through to the sluggish radiator and when I turn the system way down that becomes sufficient to keep the water at a good temperature? Or is something else happening?

Another thing I'm puzzled about - am I actually saving money and oil? If I really blast the system for a period of time that must be using up a lot of oil and I'm wondering if turning it way down pulls that excess back?

I've tried Googling for a reasoned explanation but so far haven't found one. Any heating engineers reading that might care to comment.

Kevin
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides