Shop closed down without fulfilling order

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
1 reply 703 views
jemmojemmo Forumite
3 Posts
Can anyone help, my office mate has just received some very bad news. The wedding dress shop she has ordered and paid for her dress has closed down!!

She found her perfect wedding dress back in March 2010.
Her mum kindly paid for half of the cost of the dress (~£1000) on her credit card as a deposit. The other half of the costs she paid herself a few months later using BACS.
Her wedding had to be postponed from Sept 2010 until Sept 2011 so she had not picked her dress up and it looks like the dress never made it to the shop from the suppliers. Now the retail shop has closed down and the dress supplier, whom she has contacted had received the order for the dress but no money are saying there is nothing they can do about.
What rights does she have as a consumer?

Replies

• lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her mum may be able to get the £1000 deposit from her credit card co. I'm not sure about the BACS payment.

However what she needs to find out is why shop closed? If the business went into liquidation then she becomes a creditor and should make herself known to the liquidator. It seems odd that the dressmaker received the order but no money, so I am wondering if the shop owners have done a bunk.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News