council tax-human error

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
14 replies 1.2K views
Hi all, any ideas how to deal with this letter from my council ?

Dear Mr ........

As you know your council tax is paid by direct debit and for the current year commenced 1st April 2010 with a payment of£98.07 .Payments were then dueto be collected on 1st of each month from May 2010 until January 2011 at £102.00each month.

You may be aware that from 1 April 2009 all seven districts in County ....... merged to become one authority under the name of ...... County Council.

Since that date it has been a huge task to co ordinate all areas of work and computer systems.A human error has occurred for which I apologise and let me affirm immediately ,through absolutely no fault from yourself whatsoever as well as your direct debit payments being credited to your account it has been discoverd there have been an additional 3 payments also credited to your account on 28th April 2010 of £255.89 and £53.58 and on 28th May £150.12 a total of £ 459.59p

This occurred due to another former district council having an identical reference number to your council tax number.These 3 additional payments had been incorrectly referenced to your account instead of the correct account in another former district.

What has happened is that the additional payments being credited to your account endded the direct debit payments from yourself after 1st Sept.2010 as it would have appeared your council tax was then clear .

I realise when the incorrect amounts totalling £459.59 are credited to the correct account it will mean there will still be a balance on your council tax of that amount.

I also realise this will inconvenience you and hope to minimise any futher inconvenience to you.If you are agreeable I can rescedule the remaining council tax over a futher four monthes from 1st Feb 2011 as follows. 1st Feb 2011 £114.59 followed by 3 payments from 1st March until 1st May 2011 all at £115.00

Your new council tax bill would have been due to commence from 1st April but I can delay this untill the balance for 2010 has cleared.

Once again please accept my apology and if this is acceptable to you please call me on .............. as soon as possible .

yours sincerely
senior revenues officer

Any opinions and advice most welcome


  • Pay what you owe?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • thank you for that opinon
  • OK tell me what you want to hear and I'll post that
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    There is no winning with council tax, as there is a very fast track to the magistrates court, and you may end up paying fines without any redress.

    I'm against public sector cuts but I'd make an exception for the incompetenet staff dealing with council tax.

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sagz_2Sagz_2 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Did you not notice that the direct debits stopped in September OP?

    It's clear you owe the money, so in your position, I'd ask if they could increase next years DD's to cover the extra amout. It was the councils fault after all, and at least that way you can spread the cost.
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • Pay them outright and at once. You owe it and expected to pay it anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem.

    Don't go for any weird and wonderful 'rescheduling', as nothing but further botheration lies in that direction. Oh, and never, ever, give a council a direct debit for tax. Pay monthly by cheque.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • what are you trying to say blooby 8?
  • will phone on monday and see if i can pay it off over the span of this years tax.
    many thanks for all the help and advice
  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I've dealt with similar cases where payments have been credit incorrectly to accounts. The money has to be paid on to the correct account and the person who's account it was placed on needs to make up the payments as the money is not theirs.

    If asked I cant see why they wont allow the payments to be spread out over a few months but you need to speak with them to arrange this.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • If they didn't take it, the money is still there, surely?
    Act in haste, repent at leisure.

    dunstonh wrote:
    Its a serious financial transaction and one of the biggest things you will ever buy. So, stop treating it like buying an ipod.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals