Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Temporary Car Insurance for an under 25.

New Post Advanced Search

Temporary Car Insurance for an under 25.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
20 replies 6.2K views
catieeb06catieeb06 Forumite
576 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi,

I need car insurance on a car whilst mine is being put back on the road.

The mechanic can't put mine through an MOT till Thursday and to be totally frank I am sick and tired of getting up for work 2 hours early and still being late because my bus doesn't ever turn up on time and makes me late for work. 3 times this week!!

I've had a look online but no one ever wants to insure anyone under 25 on a temporary basis. I only want it for a week!!

Help?!

I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Replies

• bouncydog1bouncydog1 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheaper to bear with it for a few more days and save the money or get a taxi in the mornings to stop you being late. Temporary cover (if you can get it) will be hugely expensive.
  • Yeah, I was thinking a taxi, just wanted to be a bit independent rather than using unreliable public transport.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    4.9K posts
    If you get an Hpi check done on the car for £20, you get 2 weeks free insurance. I did this when I bought my car, I was 18 at the time. BUT I'm not sure if you have to be the RK. Worth a try though...
  • citykid5citykid5 Forumite
    821 posts
    a handy tip would be to do a hpi check on the car thast you'r thinking of borrowing costs 19.99 and you will get a free seven day drive away insurance through aviva.you must be over 21 to qualifie,and get a anual insurance quote for the borrowed car.then after the seven days simply dont take up the anual quote
    ck
  • HPI check... I'm gonna go google that!!

Thanks!!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    4.9K posts
    http://www.hpicheck.com/driveaway.html

Looks like they've changed it a bit since I did it a year ago because, as I said, they did it for me at 18.
  • book12book12 Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try this website for temporary car insurance: https://www.shortterminsurance.co.uk/yourdetails.aspx

Moneysupermarket.com recommends it.
  • Ah, see it's saying when I go on to purchase the vehicle. I'm not planning on purchasing it. It's a means to an end whilst mine is in the garage.

Although technically you send the log book off to the DVLA which will take some time.

I don't know?!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • archersluckarchersluck Forumite
    624 posts
    ✭✭
    I used eCar insurance for a month last year, I'm 21. Cost £90 for a month and I got £10 back from quidco.

Saving for a deposit: £11,621.15
    20/25lbs
  • I had a look at eCar. They don't seem to want to offer insurance to anyone under 25. Do you have a link?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support