We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Newbie to growing my own - advice for garden plot please

Options
Hi, I am hoping for some advice for my garden as I have just built a long sleeper bed and hope to get moving with it asap. Thing is I have had very little experience of this and have not even bought any tools so... :D

I need advice on tools, seeds and fertilising the soil (it was a heavily shrubbed garden used as a small dogs toilet with the previous owner (try not to think of that too much!).

I want to try to be as natural and organic as possible.

I have not got a greenhouse or south facing windows that can be used. Should I invest in clouches, or a small temporary plastic greenhouse? Are mini poly tunnels in the bed any good?

It's a raised bed (two sleepers high altho on a slope so one end is 1 and half high - the sleepers are on their sides rather than flat - and two and half sleepers long) but I would also like to grow potatoes in a container - maybe old tyres lined somehow? I am thinking a small herb section at one end and I would like some raspberry or some other gorgeous fruit canes as its against a south facing wall.

I know I have to rotate veg per season to enable the soil to recover - do you think I should section it?

Are there things that I should avoid?

I don't have an endless budget for this project as there are many other things I am trying to sort out too but I do want to be successful with growing a small crop. I hope you guys dont mind me picking your brains :o

Thank you for your help in advance :D
Happiness is wanting what you have...
Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
EF £0/£4200

Comments

• angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just saw Sally's top five thread and along with other's favourites and the success I had with peppers, toms and aubergine on my balcony last year...

I am thinking trying
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    runners or fine beans
    Salad to cut and come again
    Cucumbers up the wall
    toms
    courgettes
    aubergines
    peppers
    chilli
    potatoes

Now I just need to think of how and where to start :o

Have an old copy of the veg expert somewhere
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    Re the soil that may be contaminated with dog faeces, others will have a solution for this but I'd probably fill my raised bed with compost on top of layered cardboard, or avoid growing root crops.

Raspberries will sucker from shallow underground roots and are best confined to one end of a bed or given a separate bed. Remember that summer raspberries will need to be netted to protect from birds.

For potatoes lots of containers work, I use builders buckets for new potatoes as well as the garden beds. I'd only grow new potatoes though.

Ideally you need somewhere warm in spring to help seeds germinate in seed trays or pots. If you sow direct you'll need to wait longer and perhaps get the soil warmer by covering with black polythene.
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, we didnt really think about the dog when buying the house but it came to light soon after moved in that the poor thing was probably never walked and just let outside. Now, we are left with any possible consequences - havent looked into it as its been winter and couldnt get out there - the lawn covers most of the garden now though :)
    EF £0/£4200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family