Water (Bills / Rates)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
9 replies 1.2K views
mackers8923mackers8923 Forumite
196 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Folks

The BBC is reporting we don't have "Water Bills" which is of course correct but is it, or is it not correct that we currently pay for our water from within our rates bills?

Life over here is grim at the minute esp with prices at the pump hitting £1.28.9, lower saleries, higher cost of living etc etc god knows what is going to come of this carry on with the water!

Replies

• Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes we pay our water with the rates .Problem is its just not enough.
    Our local MLA's are reluctant to bring in separate water charges ,its not really a vote winner
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • jnm21jnm21 Forumite
    824 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on Old Git. I would add that a rate reduction should therefore accompany water charges.
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • BigcammyBigcammy Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    jnm21 wrote: »
    Spot on Old Git. I would add that a rate reduction should therefore accompany water charges.

I agree, but what are the chances of that? we get screwed in every direction, every day in every way
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • wifeforlifewifeforlife Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes water is paid for through the regional rate
  • If I remember correctly the water rates are really really low like a couple of pound a month. I am wrong?
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few years back I sat next to a woman, a pensioner in a computer class. She was talking about her husband who had worked for the water board for 40 years before retiring. According to her money which should have been used for the up keep of our water service had been used for other things. This had been going on for many years, as if the water service was just ignored.
  • jnm21jnm21 Forumite
    824 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Spent on peace walls & policing?
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • jnm21 wrote: »
    Spent on peace walls & policing?

Probably but it will be joe public who needs to fork out even more to get this sorted, although from what NI water are saying the problem lies with customers installations, that being the case why should we fork out anything!
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The NIHE put in new service pipes from the mains to the flat below and me about two and a half years ago. It still froze but did not burst. The estate got new kitchens in.

So if NIHE property and they did the work, as usual they get the cheapest they can find. Infact they had to change contractors half way through our work. Someone up the park had their gas pipe broken by a 16 year old using a jack hammer!!!!! Yes he did work for the contractor but was left to do the work on his own.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals