The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Trying to get Debt Free for first time in my adult life

I have always had debts since I turned 18 and the banks gave me credit!! I use to borrow off my mum all the time....but then the banks offered me a credit card and stupidly I spent it!! I married a a bloke who spent money like there was no tomorrow. Our marriage eventually broke up and we are now stuck with a house we are renting out because we couldnt sell (stupidly buying in 2007 at the height of the market !!) Anyhow I am out of that relationship and am now with a guy who is very good with money and has no debt. He doesnt know the extent of mine (knows I have some...oops).....our finances are separate for now....but we are planning to get married....just the two of us in Italy in July so I want to get debt free before then.

At present I have the following which I want to clear by June 2011.

Halifax Card - £2739 (0%) - Limit £3100
Virgin - £1183 (0%) - Limit £3000
Black horse - £130 (0%) (for a bed which will be paid in May 11)
Total - £ 4052. :eek:

I know that its not a great deal comparred to some people but it is holding me back.

Have always shifted debt to 0% cards and I had my lightbulb moment in December last year when my debt was at its highest of £6000. I managed to get down to £3500 this October but I overspent at xmas and now I am really kicking myself. I have an excel spreadsheet which tallys up everything and its a forecasting one too so I know exactly what I am spending and when. Its been grand in getting me sorted as I always know where I am. The problem is I know what I have so have been known on occasion to "steal" from the forecast for a shopping spree!!!

Today was my official lightbulb moment as I had to have my washing machine repaired to the tune of £150 and what with the overspend at xmas my account currently stands at £0.08p for the rest of the month and I have only been able to pay £30 off each card :cool:.

Completely my fault but I realise I now need motivation so starting a diary I hope will help me on my goal.

I need to get on to ebay and sell loads of stuff sitting in my spare room and start doing the surveys again.......

I also need to stop wasting my money on pointless stuff......:cool:

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• karenlyth25
    karenlyth25 Posts: 60 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2010 at 8:24AM
    Oh and I really need to buy a food flask to take soup to work...spend nearly £20 a week on lunches. I hate sandwiches and salads which is a nightmare......

I cant seem to find a good cheap one...anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks K x
  • Seems I need to lose a few pounds too!! Got on the scales last night and they told me to get off!!

So I also want to lose 14 ibs by May which is fairly realistic.

Happy New Year everyone!
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    hello! i would try asda for a soup flask. it was a few years ago since i bought mine but it was only a few £ and its really cool and spotty! tbh i dont really take mine anymore. i just take soup in a tupperware pot and heat in microwave, i even carry it over to canteen to eat with friends like that! :)

happy new year :D
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • Thanks Clipy Girl...I will take a look.

We dont have a microwave at work which is annoying. We have a canteen which costs a fortune even though the company subsidise it......:o so need something that will keep my food hot.

Happy New Year!
    Karen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family