Do we need a WaterSwapathon ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
16 replies 1.6K views
RavenRaven Forumite
1.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Just an idea, having read through the threads here and having listened to some terrible examples today on Radio Ulster - its clear to me that while many of us are thankfully unaffected (so far) by water problems, we're the lucky ones.

Not everyone out there has a car to drive to the water depot.

No-one can expect a pensioner to start carrying lots of bottles even if they can find stock in the shops.

Not everyone has family close by, that can bring them to their home let alone leave water with them.

So why dont the rest of us help a little and we can start with our fellow MSE'rs . . . . So if anyone in the Belfast area is stuck, post here and send me a p.m and either my self or my wife will get you some water tomorrow.

Its not a big City so its not a big issue, the offer is there for anyone that needs it.

Raven
I'd like to teach the World to sing in perfect Harmony :grin: :j :D:)

Replies

• Well done Raven, people like you restore my faith in human nature. Hope the water problems are resolved soon.
    Starting again and working towards our new df life!
    A very proud forces wife
  • joylikes2shopjoylikes2shop Forumite
    472 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    What a lovely thought Raven :T I hope you (WE) can make it work.
    My mum and sister have had no water for a few days (bt10) whilst I've been unaffected so far (castlereagh)

I brought my mum over to stay with me today - and sis arrived after work to have a shower - I managed to get them some bottled water today, but only because I've a car and was able to drive around a number of shops before finding some.

In addition to your comments Raven...bottled water is relatively expensive so not everyone is in a position to buy much of it...I hope the people I saw buying trolly loads of bottled water today were doing so in order to assist those in need :(

Finding suitable containers to transport water actually proved a problem in my house too.

Anyway...thanks again Raven for coming up with such a great idea.
  • what a brilliant idea and fantastic offer, i live in dundonald and have no chance of getting out to the water supplys, with 2 little ones and no car any help will be appricated

:beer:
    has been around for a while but always learning,
  • RavenRaven Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    maggie5 wrote: »
    what a brilliant idea and fantastic offer, i live in dundonald and have no chance of getting out to the water supplys, with 2 little ones and no car any help will be appricated

:beer:

Reply sent, no probs. :)
    I'd like to teach the World to sing in perfect Harmony :grin: :j :D:)
  • joylikes2shopjoylikes2shop Forumite
    472 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    my water is off :o

Although after much faffing about on the NI water web site I've discovered that at least it will be on again tomorrow before lunch :T and my mums should be on again now ( i hope she turned all her taps off before heading to bed this evening :eek:)

In case it saves anyone else a bit of faffing about, I found my 'swith on/switch off' times here...
    http://www.niwater.com/crisis_management.asp and then click on the water resupply download
  • tara747tara747 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raven, what a lovely idea. Sadly I am not in NI at present so am unable to help, wish I could. Power to the people! I hope you all manage to help those in need, bless you. :)
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • weeclickweeclick Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    i had offered on facebook lastnight (on the citybeat thread) anyone needing water in the lisburn area or willing to travel to lisburn that they are more than welcome to fill any empty bottles from here as thankfully my water is still on!
    Life is what you make it.
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know when my pipes where frozen neighbours more than helped by giving me and pensioners in the street water without and thought. Even offering to carry it to the house.

I cannot find on the NI Water sight where it tells when water will be on????

Just news page saying 29th and my postcode on that date for it being off. We have quite a few pensioners here and they have no way of getting to the collection sites.

I need to rush round and get them to fill their baths if they have them. Hell I feel like a soothsayer WO WO WO the water will be cut fill your baths or pots etc.
  • I am in lisburn area and will also help those I can.
    I would like to be able to admire a man’s opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark
  • sleepymysleepymy Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Lovely thread Raven, if my water comes back on this afternoon like it did yesterday I can try to deliver some in the bt8(ish) area, I can't carry up stairs and would need the bottles back to refill.
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News