We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Bark Chippings or Winter Plant Root Insulation For Free

Options
Hi - I'm just after some general advice about plant root insulation - and given the hard winter, does anyone here recommend the use of bark chippings for insulating plants?

My dad has recommended Rolawn Direct (https://www.rolawndirect.co.uk) for buying bark chippings - however, I'm not sure he fully understood the question I asked him: "Can I insulate my plants for free dad?"

Any advice very welcome.

IIDT (freezing cold, wet feet and thinking hard about whether to give up gardening.)
:sad:

Comments

• Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Best to say which types of plant you wish to insulate, and whereabouts in the UK you are.

I don't leave "softy"plants in the garden, all those that may be affected by cold are in the greenhouse (unheated), eg, french lavender, tarragon etc.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    As a general rule, yes wood chips as a mulch will help to insulate root stock.

I use leaves fallen from trees mainly because they are free as i live next to a wood and most of it seems to fall into my garden in autumn :o
  • imindebttoo
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm in the North of England - near one of the National Parks, and it is usually a good 5-6 degrees colder than the weather forecast due to our feet above sea-level - hence my concern this year which has been astonishingly cold this year (as I'm sure you're aware!)

I have already put less hardy herbs etc inside in a warmish to cool but well lit room, which gets enough warmth from the winter sun through the double glazing - and they are happy.

Outdoors in a south facing bed we have a few evergreen shrubs which seem happy enough - we also have some mature Buddleia which I'm a little concerned about.

I like the leaves idea - although I may have left this one a little late this time around! :(

I've read newspaper several sheets thick held down with rocks makes a good insulating mulch?

IIDT
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I've read newspaper several sheets thick held down with rocks makes a good insulating mulch?
    IIDT

Yes that will do as well.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don' t need to worry about the roots as such unless the plants are in pots in which case dig the plant pots into a trench if you can.

Last Winter & this we've incredibly low temps - Alright I will lose a couple of tender plants but it is amazing what will survive. Snow actually acts as insulation.

Thought I'd lost a fancy fushia last year but it came back from the roots in late May when it really did look dead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure