How much would a new boiler cost?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
18 replies 5.2K views
SnoozleSnoozle Forumite
175 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Ok, the cold weather has wreaked havoc with my ancient boiler, and whilst it can be revived this time, I have been warned that it is pretty much terminal and its just a matter of time.

I haven't started properly pricing it yet, and was just wondering, has anyone replaced a boiler recently (oil fired central heating, no gas in our area)? What sort of money are we talking about?

I have posted in the NI forum rather than the main site, as I believe the reliance on oil central heating is an NI thing!

Replies

• My uncle got his whole system replaced, boiler and all for £1350 on Xmas eve. This was in Ballymena, the plumber was telling him that boliers were hard to find at the mo
  • We bought a new Worcester Bosch (sp?) boiler in October - cost £395.00 - still waiting to install it though! - this is a gravity fed one not one of the new condenser ones - they are about £1000 I think.
    :hello:
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We bought a new Worcester Bosch (sp?) boiler in October - cost £395.00 - still waiting to install it though! - this is a gravity fed one not one of the new condenser ones - they are about £1000 I think.

Its illegal to fit a non condensing boiler now, thanks to J Prescott.

Maybe you mean a system boiler rather than a combi?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • BatCatBatCat Forumite
    474 Posts
    Hi,
    We're in Belfast and had a condensing boiler and flue fitted for about 1300£ as well as thermostatic valves for the radiators.
    Well worth doing. Can PM the plumber/boiler man's details. He did a great job and was very reasonable.
    Cheers,
    BatCat
  • blueberrypieblueberrypie Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    penrhyn wrote: »

We replaced our boiler less than a year ago, and were told this - but when we checked with our local Building Control Officer, he said it's wrong, and that there is nothing illegal about replacing your boiler with a non-condensing one. If you are installing a new heating system, then you have to fit a condensing boiler, but the requirements don't apply when it's a straightforward boiler replacement.
  • edited 29 December 2010 at 9:03PM
    dmxdavedmxdave Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 December 2010 at 9:03PM

We replaced our boiler less than a year ago, and were told this - but when we checked with our local Building Control Officer, he said it's wrong, and that there is nothing illegal about replacing your boiler with a non-condensing one. If you are installing a new heating system, then you have to fit a condensing boiler, but the requirements don't apply when it's a straightforward boiler replacement.

I don't believe this was ever extended to Northern Ireland. Don't know if it's true or not but I was told a condensing boiler will not have the same life span as a conventional one.
    Dave
  • edited 29 December 2010 at 9:05PM
    ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 December 2010 at 9:05PM
    Daily Mail had an article today on these troublesome condensing boilers

Quote;
    "Many plumbers consider them to be little more than a multi-billion-pound con-trick".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1342357/Central-heating-break-big-freeze-Heres-.html#ixzz19X6pc2ZQ

• maguimmaguim Forumite
    108 Posts
    BatCat wrote: »
    Hi,
    We're in Belfast and had a condensing boiler and flue fitted for about 1300£ as well as thermostatic valves for the radiators.
    Well worth doing. Can PM the plumber/boiler man's details. He did a great job and was very reasonable.
    Cheers,
    BatCat

Can you PM the details for your plumber to me as well BatCat. Looking to get whole new system fitted soon.

Anyone else got details of good inexpensive plumbers who will do job in East Belfast area?

Need new oil heating system + radiators fitting in 3 bed house.:money:
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you sure as we have had the old boiler replaced with a newer standard boiler
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In England and Wales, any new boiler must be condensing unless an exemption can be applied, which is totted up on a points basis depending on location of boiler, flue, etc. The rest of the installatiomn must be brought up to current standards as well, eg new programmer and thermostatic rad valves.

Building Regs in NI probably 'different but similar'
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News