NIHE repairs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
10 replies 1.7K views
impulseimpulse Forumite
142 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
I'd a few radiators not working,rang NIHE last night,they said would send repair man out today but it would be prioritised and people in more need would be sorted 1st,I said yes,ofcourse,

It got pretty late at night and we actually thought no repair man was coming,just as that the door knocked,I answered and the guy came in,I told him the prob and he asked had I explained that to NIHE that only several rad's weren't working,I said yes,and he got rather stoppy as if he should not be there,he even said right I will be complaining to them for wasting my time coming out to me as I could make do with what I had!!

I said WHAT? my heating needs fixed,I have a son who has asthma suffering from flu and his bedroom rad isnt working,he was right nasty and walked out !!!,

I think he maybe had another few callouts to make and didnt want to waste time,wanted to get home,I'm really angry,this workman was so arrogant with me and refused to do my repair :( I've been trying to ring NIHE since and cant get an answer,

Replies

• dmxdavedmxdave Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, but perhaps he has been under a bit of pressure! Your heating is working albeit not in full, did this just happen last night? Would it be possible to move your son into a heated room? Finally please read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12064805
    Dave
  • edited 27 December 2010 at 12:11PM
    Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 December 2010 at 12:11PM
    do the radiators just need bled
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • dmxdave wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but perhaps he has been under a bit of pressure! Your heating is working albeit not in full, did this just happen last night? Would it be possible to move your son into a heated room? Finally please read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12064805[/QUOTE]

I know he probably was under pressure but his rudeness was uncalled for,he's working for a contractor and being paid to do a job,I'm aware other people are in a worse position and was prepared to wait,I just didnt expect workmen to come into my home and act as he did,

I don't have another room to move my son to
    Old_Git wrote: »
    do the radiators just need bled

I have no idea what is wrong with them,if I could have fixed them myself I would have
  • spike7451spike7451 Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it gas or Economy 7(not!) heating.Last Christmas I had an issue with the E7 heater in my living room not working,the fixer came out & said that because we were getting the Gas in the spring,he couldn't fix it as NIHE wouldn't allow it &,as I was a single man,it wasn't a priority...so I spent the cold snap living in the bedroom as the was more heat!

Generally over a holiday period,a company may have a couple people 'on call' covering certain areas (that's what we did at NTL) while the rest are stood down however rudeness cannot be tolerated in any business.I had the same issue with a NIHE plumber earlier this month when he came out to replace my loo cistern.
  • mofopantsmofopants Forumite
    274 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    i would say the people with no heating are a priority, at least you have some heating. TBH if i had a load of callouts to do, i'd be pretty miffed going to see someone who has got heating when plenty of others are much worse off.
  • impulseimpulse Forumite
    142 Posts
    mofopants wrote: »
    i would say the people with no heating are a priority, at least you have some heating. TBH if i had a load of callouts to do, i'd be pretty miffed going to see someone who has got heating when plenty of others are much worse off.

Obviously people with no heating are more of a priority,I totally agree with that,I was prepared to wait until they were all sorted first,NIHE had already told me that when I'd said it was only a few radiators not working,I was happy enough with that,my point is now I'm off the repair list altogether
    spike7451 wrote: »
    Is it gas or Economy 7(not!) heating.Last Christmas I had an issue with the E7 heater in my living room not working,the fixer came out & said that because we were getting the Gas in the spring,he couldn't fix it as NIHE wouldn't allow it &,as I was a single man,it wasn't a priority...so I spent the cold snap living in the bedroom as the was more heat!

Generally over a holiday period,a company may have a couple people 'on call' covering certain areas (that's what we did at NTL) while the rest are stood down however rudeness cannot be tolerated in any business.I had the same issue with a NIHE plumber earlier this month when he came out to replace my loo cistern.

Its gas,I've had it on almost 24/7 but the radiators just arent heating properly,I've been living in a furry coat with my hood up last few days and I'm still cold,my son's bedroom is worse :mad:
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    impulse wrote: »

Its gas,I've had it on almost 24/7 but the radiators just arent heating properly,I've been living in a furry coat with my hood up last few days and I'm still cold,my son's bedroom is worse :mad:

Best bet then would be to contact Phoenix direct.When my gas was installed in Feb,I had no hot water but heat,I called NIHE who sent the installers back,well,one man who ran the tap,agreed I had no hot water & went off to tell the forman.
    So I called Phoenix who sent an gas fitter out who,in 5 minutes fixed the boiler.Turns out the installers hadn't connected a wire!!:mad:
  • Who cares what the problem was, no doubt hes getting well paid to do his job. It makes no difference what the problem is and its not your fault he was sent to your house. Report him sharpish, if he doesnt like his job he can always quit. Its fine giving off to his supervisor but never the customer.
  • mofopants wrote: »

I don't think any responsible parent of an asthmatic child with flu should wait until the heating packs in completely before reporting it. Cold air is an asthma attack trigger, cold air & flu is a recipe for disaster for an asthmatic.

He was bang out of order, most of the NIHE workmen I've had to deal with over the years have been decent but some of them are just snotty gits. Far too much shoddy work being done by some NIHE contractors. They're raking it in for the simplest repairs at times, so have a cheek slabbering at customers.
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    impulse,
    The guy who came out,did he have a wonky eye? (serious question btw)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals