We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

mixed veg plants collection as a present..

Options
hi all

My sil is always saying she wants to try and grow some veg i nhergarden but has never got around to it..

so i was thinking of buying her a veg growing book and also ordering her a veg PLANTS (not seeds) small mixed collection to be delivered in May or so so that once they arrive she just has to plant them....

has anyone got any recommendations for any companys who do veg plants to order online??

She lives on the south coast so may will be fine for planting out..

art

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some plants wont like the roots being disturbed (peas for one) i found that out after moving some from greenhouse
    to garden.

Probably better to pop seeds in now or early as possible next year/ after frost depending on what you plan to grow.

I put some onions in and some garlic i read they prefer a bit of winter helps the develop.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• holgate79
    Options
    Hi artichoke - give her an IOU and buy some from B and Q when they come out or give her a B and Q gift voucher - these do veg plant seedlings.

I've never used them but there is vegplantsbypost.com

Thre is also rocketgardens.co.uk

Most plants rcove if you give them a bit of TLC in the first few days after buying them.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thomson & Morgan do veg plants, never bought them as I grow my own, so cannot comment on quality

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/

I think the B & Q or other garden centre vouchers is a good one, at least she can buy what she fancies that way
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • davidscot
    Options
    artichoke wrote: »
    hi all

My sil is always saying she wants to try and grow some veg i nhergarden but has never got around to it..

so i was thinking of buying her a veg growing book and also ordering her a veg PLANTS (not seeds) small mixed collection to be delivered in May or so so that once they arrive she just has to plant them....

has anyone got any recommendations for any companys who do veg plants to order online??

She lives on the south coast so may will be fine for planting out..

art
    Try jerseyplantsdirect.co.uk for a choice of veg plants. They also do free p&p, well did in last newsletter I received. Never had any complaints when using them before for plants etc.
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Marshall's do a fair range, not used them myself but have heard their customer service is good too.

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/vegetable-plants-page1-cid367.html
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you could just grow your own. far far cheaper, and while youre at it you could keep some for yourself.
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I just searched Veg plants online and quite a few came up, alot of these will do plug plants.

It is cheaper to buy the seeds of course, but not everyone has the know how/patients/time/facilities.

The plug plants will be delivered at the time to plant.
  • green_hat778
    Options
    Hiya

I've used Thompson and Morgan for plants in the past (using Tesco Clubcard Vouchers, don't think they're offering anything at the moment but would be worth a look!) and their quality is reasonable. Of ten plug strawberry plants 8 grew well, though that may be more down to my ineptitude than the plants! Their P&P charges are quite high though so you need to buy a few plants at once to make it worth while.

As others have said, probably easier to grow from seed yourself, things like beans/tomatoes are easy to grow, seeds planted in old water fountain cups with a hole poked in the bottom then planted out when the weather's better. Failing that, try car-boot sales, or ask around at work, lots of people (myself included with my tiny balcony) find they have a glut of plants early spring time and often give them away for next to nothing! :D

Hope that helped, I'm new to all this!
  • Coilette
    Options
    i get all my plants online from bloomingdirect.com as they're local and I like to support local businesses, even if they're on the internet! I got some lavender plants and theyre great, even though I am useless with plants, despite my efforts. They are outside my front door, on each side, - not very colourful right now but they took well and have grown nicely to fit the planting areas. I put solar power lights in each one too so I have some illumination at night. I also like the fact I didn't have to drive anywhere to get them! I look online for the types of plants I like then just order them. Saves me fuel, parking, wear and tear on the car and loads of time -I think thats the best thing about buying online, it saves a fortune really, no matter what it is youre buying.
  • rosy798
    rosy798 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    Boot sales are the best place to buy the choice is good and the prices are fantastic
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure