We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Do I water the Christmas Tree

Options
Hello

I've always had an artifical tree but this year I've bought the real thing. It doesn't have any roots but I think I remember someone saying you need to water them to stop the pine needles from dropping.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Terri

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Answered in the section you previously posted in .... do you think you will get different advice here ??
  • absfabs
    absfabs Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, it lasts longer in water. You can get tree stands with water reservoir, or if you want to be truely MS use a bucket, wedge the tree in with bricks or garden soil or both, and water regularly.

And keep the tree outside until you are ready to put it up, in my experience they last about 2 weeks indoors before drooping and shedding badly, so don't put it up too early. If it's in a coolish place (mine unfortunately has to be next to a radiator, no space for it elsewhere). perhaps you can get more than 2 weeks out of yours.
  • Terrysdelight
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    Answered in the section you previously posted in .... do you think you will get different advice here ??

I posted the question in two different chat places as I wasn't sure which one to post in.

I wasn't looking for a different opinion :(
  • Terrysdelight
    Options
    Thanks - I think mine has a resevoir underneath it and also, mine has to go near a radiator too. I will keep it turned off and turn the other one up in the room.

Cheers x
  • katkins78
    Options
    Don't know if this has been mentioned in the other thread, but is a good idea to saw a couple of inches off the bottom of the tree to leave a raw edge for it to soak up water. Check the tree every night- they do drink a lot of water, especially in a warm room!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you do need to water it, imagine its like cut flowers in a vase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure