Purchased debt - advice much appreciated!

Options
Just received a letter through the post from Lowell Portfolio with reference to a £450 debt they have recently purchased from Barclaycard.

The debt is from about 2-3 years ago. Escaped Barclaycard originally as I had moved out to Australia. Now I am back in the UK and have been for 6 months.

Letter is opened and I am not able to comfortably pay it.

Would Lowell have done some research on me/my location etc. before purchasing the debt? Maybe they found out I had returned to the UK from Facebook or Linked In (as I have not applied for any kind of tenancy agreement or contract etc apart from my phone)....as the letter is opened I assume it would be pointless to send it back in another envelope saying "no longer at this address"...

It seems Barclaycard gave up on the debt due to me relocating - if I do not admit my relocation to Lowell or acknowledge the debt - is there a good chance the same thing would happen as with Barclaycard? I assume this is quite a common occurrence on this forum...any suggestions would be infinitely appreciated.

Comments

• shop-to-drop
    Options
    My advice would be to pay it! You spent the money I don't understand why you think you shouldn't pay?
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    anthony7 wrote: »
    Just received a letter through the post from Lowell Portfolio with reference to a £450 debt they have recently purchased from Barclaycard.

The debt is from about 2-3 years ago. Escaped Barclaycard originally as I had moved out to Australia. Now I am back in the UK and have been for 6 months.

Letter is opened and I am not able to comfortably pay it.

Would Lowell have done some research on me/my location etc. before purchasing the debt? Maybe they found out I had returned to the UK from Facebook or Linked In (as I have not applied for any kind of tenancy agreement or contract etc apart from my phone)....as the letter is opened I assume it would be pointless to send it back in another envelope saying "no longer at this address"...

It seems Barclaycard gave up on the debt due to me relocating - if I do not admit my relocation to Lowell or acknowledge the debt - is there a good chance the same thing would happen as with Barclaycard? I assume this is quite a common occurrence on this forum...any suggestions would be infinitely appreciated.

Sorry mate no sympathies from me,you can afford to travel the other side of the world but moaning about a £450 unpaid bill.
  • allybee101
    Options
    I don't know much about how they find people - could be through social networking sites, or maybe passport office? Although there might have been a credit check when you got your phone contract which might have flagged that you're back in the UK.
    If they've found an address for you then there's a possibility they'll send someone round after a few letters.
    Could you agree a repayment scheme (couple of quid a month until you've cleared the debt)?
    Good luck
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • onlypaddy
    Options
    They found you through the phone application.

Pay it off, stop burying your head
    Debts at LBM (May '08) £5760 - Lloyds CC £4260, Lloyds OD £1500;
    Debts as of May 28th 2011:
    Santander CC: £0.00
    Lloyds OD : £0.00
    DFW Nerd #1247 - Proudly dealt with my Debts :D Olympic 2012 Challenge #12
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    You say the debt is from only 2-3years ago, well they actually have 6years to get you to pay or decide to take you to court.

Don't call them. Write to them setting out how much you can afford to repay a month.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, you're phone contract set the Dogs of Hades on your trail, bet you wish you'd gone pay as you go now.

To be honest, these people have departments designed to track people down and if the "escapee" is out there applying for phones etc they don't really have to work very hard.

The will now make your life a living hell with letters, phones calls (if they haven't got your number, for Gods sake don't tell them)....threats of "doorstep" visits etc etc

I wish you good luck but don't rate your chances.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • darkblue_2
    Options
    I'm a debt collector myself. The easiest way to track someone is when they're leaving trails on their credit reports.

If you lived at an address, move without telling anyone and then a few months later you get a phone contract and on the part of your application where it says "Previous address if less than 3/5 years" you note your previous address - they do a linked search on both addresses which then show your creditors that you've moved.

I'm not going to judge you on whether or not you pay. I don't think it's what these boards are for. But I'm not going to help you evade debt either.
  • anthony7
    Options
    Thanks everyone sounds like I shall need to set up a payment plan. I assume the reason it is better to do it by letter rather than phone is linked to being able to have written confirmation of all agreements and contracts...
  • PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    yes by letter or even email , lowell are quite kind in debt collection compared to most of them
  • darkblue_2
    Options
    anthony7 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone sounds like I shall need to set up a payment plan. I assume the reason it is better to do it by letter rather than phone is linked to being able to have written confirmation of all agreements and contracts...

Correct.

It might help speed things up if you were to send a note of your income and expenditure with an offer of payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure