🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Credit card rejection - don't understand why

Options
Hi

I've just applied for a credit card and was refused. So I applied for another. And after that I applied for the 'suggested' card that might accept me. Again zilch.

So I ended up getting a high interest card - hoping this gets my foot in the door.

Problem is I don't understand why I can't get any of the 'preferred' cards I saw advertised. Is it perhaps that I've never had a credit card before?

I know our house is always in time with the bills etc - we either pay cash or have direct debit, so no problems there.

Another possible issue could be that we occasionally receive debt letters to our house address but with someone else's name. We just return to send.

Any tips welcome as its intriguing why I've been refused. Please feel free to ask any questions that would help further clarify.

Comments

• BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    Snowaway wrote: »
    Hi

I've just applied for a credit card and was refused. So I applied for another. And after that I applied for the 'suggested' card that might accept me. Again zilch.

So I ended up getting a high interest card - hoping this gets my foot in the door.

Problem is I don't understand why I can't get any of the 'preferred' cards I saw advertised. Is it perhaps that I've never had a credit card before?

I know our house is always in time with the bills etc - we either pay cash or have direct debit, so no problems there.

Another possible issue could be that we occasionally receive debt letters to our house address but with someone else's name. We just return to send.

Any tips welcome as its intriguing why I've been refused. Please feel free to ask any questions that would help further clarify.

What cards did you apply for?
  • Snowaway
    Options
    star-fire wrote: »
    What cards did you apply for?

Tesco, Egg, Barclaycard then Aqua (accepted)

I think that's the cards in that order - it was a case of going through them all while lunching at work!
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    Snowaway wrote: »
    Tesco, Egg, Barclaycard then Aqua (accepted)

I think that's the cards in that order - it was a case of going through them all while lunching at work!

If you don't have any other credit cards this will be the reason of decline as lenders do like to see a good credit history.

If the debt letters are not in your name don't worry about that either.

Stay off applying for another 6 months as this will look desperate or fraudulent maybe.
    Stick to your aqua card for 12-18 months keep payments up to date then maybe try a mainstream lender again.
  • Snowaway
    Options
    star-fire wrote: »
    If you don't have any other credit cards this will be the reason of decline as lenders do like to see a good credit history.

If the debt letters are not in your name don't worry about that either.

Stay off applying for another 6 months as this will look desperate or fraudulent maybe.
    Stick to your aqua card for 12-18 months keep payments up to date then maybe try a mainstream lender again.

Cheers for the advice - I've not got any credit card history.

Ironically is it the case that since I've never had a credit problem, (and still don't, just want a card for convenience) they won't give me a card?

Happy to prove myself with Aqua - thanks again!
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Options
    Aqua are run by Halifax who in turn are part of Lloyds TSB so try there for a decent card after 12 or so months.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 1 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport