Cahoot

Options
Dear Forumers,
I have recently come back from my jollies, and used my Cahoot Visa on two occasions. I was shocked to see charges for each transaction, for international usage! and then a third charge, a purchase charge, totalling about £15. I hold an Egg visa also and have not been charged on overseas usage ever before on either card for transactions, (not cash).

i contacted cahoot they said it was visa who levy the charge. I contacted Visa, who said it was they're member banks who charge, not them as they do not have access to the persons account.

So if Visa's member banks charge, why is cahoot charging and not egg, and i dont get the extra purchase charge,as it would appear i have been charged twice for the usage, then a third charge for purchase?

any advice pls :mad:

Guy

Comments

• 12bdebt3
    Options
    It looks like Cahoot have ripped you off there. My credit card is Visa but with my building society and they do not charge me for transactions abroad.

It is possible that in the terms and conditions you signed to when you took out the Cahoot credit card that it will say somewhere they can charge you for this. I'd ask for a copy of Cahoot's terms and conditions on purchases/withdrawals abroad.

When you phoned up Cahoot it looks like they fobbed you off because they knew that you weren't going to be happy, Visa are correct they probably have nothing to do with charges like that.
  • G.Davies
    Options
    Thanks for that.

I have had the cahoot cards for about 8yrs, and never incurred these charges before. I did have a look at the terms and conditions, and at the " Rates" and fees. Cahoot suggest you will incur charges when using the card outside the uk, which are:-VISA cash withdrawal handling charge (cash machine) - 1.5% of the amount withdrawn (£1.50 minimum)
    -Overseas commission charge - an additional 2.25% of the withdrawal or purchase amount. Cahoot state that unless it's cash withdrawn, everything else is classed as a " Purchase".
    But i've used this card in spain, and not been charged before. So whether it's something new i'm unaware of. VISA are quite annoyed that Cahoot have blamed them and asked me for the correspondence emails.
  • Chris2000
    Options
    Cahoot always charged 2.25% for foreign currency transactions and 1.5% for VISA cash withdrawals. I guess the charges were just hidden in the exchange rate they used, but since transferring accounts over to Santander's computer system, the fees are now itemised separately.

Some credit cards itemise the charges separately, others just show the total amount converted into sterling so the fees are less obvious. Cahoot is actually one of the cheaper cards, most of the others charge 2.75% or 2.99% for foreign currency transactions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure